Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Right gun for the price?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Right gun for the price?

The weathrby vanguards are hard to beat in my opinion. You can get a good rifle and a good scope for that price in a variety of calibers in the vanguard line.
Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Where are all the Remington and Browning fans?
We're still here! As always, I'drecommend heshoulder some different rifles, & pick the one that settles intoHIS shoulder like it was just another part of your body. While every mfgr. has a "turd" slip out of their plant every now & again, most main line rifle companies are satisfying enough of their customers enough of the time to remain in business. Stay away from Remmy 710's, & you'll do fine!

Savage is good, but some of them, unless you get a higher-end one, have a very rought action ...
That hasn't been my experience. On my latest trip through a very well-stocked gun shop, the Savages & Remmys had far smoother actions than the Brownings, Howas, Rugers, and Vanguards, IN MY OPINION! Again, shoulder several rifles, work the actions, & buy the one that speaks to you.

As for ammo, I like to shoot Federal Powershoks, you can buy them cheap from Wally World (Wal-Mart), and they shoot great, they also have very high velocity, they shoot 1 inch higher than HornadySST's.
... in Younggun's rifle. Each rifle is an individual, & you'll have to feed it whatever it happens to like. I've got a kid who'll eat pan seared duck breast with mushroom barley risotto. I have another who'll eat nothing but chicken nuggets. And they're both good kids. Many posters have rifles that like Barnes bullets, but mine doesn't care for them. And while Younggun308's rifle prefers the Federals over the SST's, my rifle will cloverleaf the SST's consistently. Neither one is better than the other - they're just individuals.

Cartridge selection is a hairsplitting game: there's so much overlap that the debates never end. Hey, that's why we have these forums! If you'll be topping out with deer, I'd stay below 7mm Mag. If you want togo for game ranging fromdeer to moose, I'd say stay above .270. And if you're really after moose/elk/bears on a yearly basis, you'd probably better go with .338 WM or higher. Whatever you choose, get out to the range often enough to be proficient with your rifle from all the standard shooting positions, and not just from the bench. You owe the game that much.

Don't forget to save at least $200 for the scope. OK, I'll let you go to $150 if you get a killer bargain.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Spike

I typically try to buy american when I can, but I did just pick up a used Tikka Lite in 300WSM for about $400 (no scope) for a light weight mountain rifle. Ihave only shot 30 rounds to date, so cannot comment too much on performance yet, although I do feel the bark due to the weight of the gun!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 PM

Savage + Nikon = Incredible.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

I also have always been a fan of Remington rifles. I have a 700ADL .270win that is one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I've EVER seen.

However, IMO Savage has stepped up to the plate better than any other rifle maker. Their rifles are on avg. the most accurate out of the box rifles on the market today.

I've seen a few guys almost burst into tears when their A-Bolt and Ruger was "out shot" by a Savage that was 1/3 less expensive.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 AM

I will say the remingtons are hard to go wrong with!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Every single post has been helpful.Thanks to ALL of you.

Unfortunatly I still dont know what I want.But its going to be between a Vanguard,Remington 700 SPS,or a Savage.

Still not sure on a Scope.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: twelch

Every single post has been helpful.Thanks to ALL of you.

Unfortunatly I still dont know what I want.But its going to be between a Vanguard,Remington 700 SPS,or a Savage.

Still not sure on a Scope.
"Unfortunately"? Heck, you've got it far more narrowed-down than most of us do when we go to the gun store! Go fondle those 3 rifles, & see which one jumps into your arms, licks your face, & says, "take me home!"

Here's one place to start for scope ideas: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2198098

Naturally, if you start seaching here & in the optics forum, you'll get far more info. than you'll ever have time to read.

Scopescan betougher to choose, because it's harder to find a retailer with a large selection of scopes to compare to one another, & because your eyes are the ones that have to make the call on whether scope "X" is better than scope "Y". That being said, the old rule still applies: buy the best optics you can afford. And you can take comfort in the knowledge that you can buy far more glass for less money than ever before.

FC