Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06 or 7 mm Mag ?

Old 12-27-2002, 10:16 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 or 7 mm Mag ?

Well I picked it up this morning. Went with the 30-06. Basicly had my mind made up when I walked in, but still took a last look at the 7mm. Practicality won out. the 30 is just cheaper to shoot, more rounds available. More capable than my marksmanship is likely to make use of, and I have been a big fan of the 06 for many years. Thanks Kmart, for the great deal. 304 bucks. can't beat that. I'll take it out in the woods tomorrow. If I see a deer before 11 am I'm shootin at it. if not, around lunch I'll improvise a target for a couple rounds. In two weeks, after Deer season has ended, I'll take it to the range and run a few different boxes thru it. Got some 150 grain Winchester powerpoints for now. Much thanks to everyone for the input. By the way, the only other New rifle I found even close in price was the Remington 710. I didn't like the bolt....just me, but that was my gut feeling.

David
Old 12-27-2002, 10:26 AM

where are you buying your ammo? i shoot both guns and the costs are about the same per box of 20
Old 12-27-2002, 10:37 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Well I picked it up this morning. Went with the 30-06. Basicly had my mind made up when I walked in, but still took a last look at the 7mm. Practicality won out. the 30 is just cheaper to shoot, more rounds available. More capable than my marksmanship is likely to make use of, and I have been a big fan of the 06 for many years. Thanks Kmart, for the great deal. 304 bucks. can't beat that. I'll take it out in the woods tomorrow. If I see a deer before 11 am I'm shootin at it. if not, around lunch I'll improvise a target for a couple rounds. In two weeks, after Deer season has ended, I'll take it to the range and run a few different boxes thru it. Got some 150 grain Winchester powerpoints for now. Much thanks to everyone for the input. By the way, the only other New rifle I found even close in price was the Remington 710. I didn't like the bolt....just me, but that was my gut feeling.

David
Old 12-27-2002, 12:33 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

At kmart, they had 150 grain remington corelockt soft point for 11.99 regular price. the winchesters I got were 12.99. The 7mm mag winchester cartidges were 14.99 and that was on sale. prices at a local gun shop were averaging about 5 bucks over Kmart's prices the last time I looked. I used to frequent that shop, and bought several guns there, but The last 5-10 times I have gone there, I just didn't get a warm fuzzy from them so I can't see paying the extra 100 bucks it would have cost me to buy there instead of at Kmart.

David
Old 12-29-2002, 08:29 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Since I got some good input, I thought I would follow up. I enjoyed carrying the 30-06 in the woods yesterday. Missed a really nice buck who was trotting thru the area. got a ton of excuses, but I can't blame it on the rifle. about noon, I took 3 shots with it at an improvised target at about 90 paces (I'm 6'2&quot shot 3 inches high, and about 4 inches to the right. So I just plain missed the buck. exciting anyway, and with that rifle, I am certain I will more than make up for it in the years to come. Maybe I don't have too much to compare it to, but I didn't think the scope was bad.

David
Old 12-29-2002, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

dpv-Are you saying that you only took three shots with the gun before going hunting and that you left it 4" to the right?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:56 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I took no shots before going hunting, since the weapon was bore sighted, and the area I was hunting in was unlikely to afford me more than a 100 yard shot. Bought the weapon friday. hunted saturday. I fired 4 rounds yesterday. First shot I missed a buck ( my fault ) next three were test shots and grouped high and right. I clicked the windage back in 10 clicks (1/4 " at 100 yds and I was just under that distance) I will invest some time at the range in the weeks to come to get it as tight as I can, but since I was using my mossberg 590 with bead sight and slugs before I bought this rifle I feel like I got a substantial improvement right away. Am I about to be sent to time out?

David
Old 12-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

dpv-Yes it definitely was your fault that you missed the deer.Did you honestly believe that boresighting would be adequate for sighting in a rifle for hunting?Being only four inches out is actually not bad for a boresighted gun as they are often out even more.I find it surprising how many people would actually even consider shooting at an animal without even shooting their gun and hunting load.You got what you deserve and at least no animal had to suffer being wounded as a result of your lack of preparation.