Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What To Do For New Optics?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What To Do For New Optics?

OK, here is my dilema.

I have a TC Encore 7mm-08 sitting un-scoped at the moment. It is the Pro-Hunter barrel with a stainless receiver. I need to get some glass mounted on it again.

Options:

I havea Tikka T3 Lite in 243 that is my main coyote gun with a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 (silver) on it. I don't like a shiney scope on my coyote gun, should I change this scope over to my Thompson?

OR

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag that is an absolute tack driver, but I feel it is under-scoped. It has a VXII 3-9x40 (matte) on it.

I've been looking at getting a VXIII 4.5-14x40 with the LR duplex.........

What gun should I put the VXIII on and what should I put on my Thompson???
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What To Do For New Optics?

I would put the most powerful one on the 243 and the 4x12 on the 08. Thats a bit more scope than you probably need but since you have it, why not. Whatare you putting on the 223?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my Nikon 4.5-14 on my 223 Tikka right now, an EOTech on my AR15 and a Leupold Vari-X I on my Mini 14 Too many 223s to choose from

The Nikon is gonna get sent back to Nikon, its not functioning properly. Just gonna leave it bare for a while.......
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless your 7mm Mag is your prairie dog rifle I see no need for more scope on it, I have the same scope on my .243 and I can get 3-4 inch groups at 300 yards...Guess I agree with James, swap what's on the .243 to the 7mm-08 and get another for the .243, it will get more use than the 7mm anyway...

Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

put the vxii on the pro hunter
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quality guns should have quality optics,anything that says "ZEISS CONQUEST" is what I would use...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

PaJack - I've actually been tossing around the idea of trying one out. Find me a good price on one and we'll see
Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rammer,check this guy out on e-bay. I picked up 2 Conquest from him,a 3-9-50mm (saved $100) and a 4.5-14-44mm (saved over $150). Save this site because he slowes down durung the summer but when he's selling 100%,he has 6 to 8 different scopes up for bid every week. Execelent guy to deal with...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZelkhunter777
Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link. I'm checking him out. I might need to get a new ebay account, forgot my last one since its been soo damned long since I've used ebay.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Encore in 7-08 as well Rammer.

First off....get a SOLID one piece base, ring set. Either from TC proper, or as did, from Talley. Money very well spent.

I put a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50mm with HD reticle on mine. In hindsight, I probably would have made it a 40mm....not a big deal though. Since you are out west, and I am in the south, I am concerned with light gathering. Honestly, I am probably going to replace that scope with a Diavari T* 1-6x42, or a Schmidt and Bender fixed 6x42.

I'm more of a believer in good coatings and lower power. Light pickup is important for me, and while I once thought I needed a huge objective, lots of research, reading, talking, and trial and error, has me believing that coatings are FAR AND AWAY more important to the quality of the optic than just sheer size. I of course realized coatings were important anyway, as is the clarity and composition of the lens glass, but size is not as important with regards to objectives, I'd rather have the scope closer to the barrel.

Quick Reply: What To Do For New Optics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.