Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt?

Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bolt?

Lets say you have a Remington 700 that is dead nuts and shoots as good as any gun you have ever owned. How oftenwould you recommend to take your bolt all the way down and clean the firing pin?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bolt?

In 50 years, I have not done it yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Once a year. Unless you get caught out in a rain storm or hunt in particulary dusty/sandy areas which may require a little more maintenance. the spring can get gunked up, when i take mine apart I just soak it in Ronson Lighter fluid for 30 minutes then blow it dry with a little compressed air (not from a compressor, the canned air for cleaning keyboards). I usually do the triger the same way at the same time. This usually occurs after hunting season before I put them up for the winter.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take my Ruger M-77 down each and every year, after deer season...I clean and lube the trigger assembly, barrel, and bolt, check all scope screws and every 5 years or so reseal the stock...I know this isn't necessary but I do it because I like having a clean rifle...I have buddies that wipe off the outside of their gun, let me take 1-2 shots a year to check zero and they go hunting...I just can't do that....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Lets say you have a Remington 700 that is dead nuts and shoots as good as any gun you have ever owned. How oftenwould you recommend to take your bolt all the way down and clean the firing pin?
I do it on ocassion. Especially before a trip where I might be staying in a soft sided tent in possible wetcold frigidconditions. Its cheap insurance. Anyone can take it apart in a few seconds.

I buy and sell alot of used 700's and its standard operation for me to disasseble when I first clean it. You won't believe the crap I find in there. Sometimes alot of rust in the spring area from no cleaning/oil. But mostly what looks like heavy gummy grease over overoil/no cleaning.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have instructions on how to break down the bolt on the 700's?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on alot of things...including conditions(weather and what the gun is exposed to), usage, season(alot of oil in the fridgid cold can be bad news) etc etc...

first thing i do when i buy a new(or used) firearm is run home and strip er down....factorys usually leaves alot of nasty grease(my 700 was surprisingly very clean...no gummy grease!) and other people before you may have NEVER checked...

i dont see removing the firing pin from the bolt affecting your dead on accuracy...id clean that firing pin as i felt needed...my 700 is a groundhog gun...its always sittin in the weeds, getting dusty, etc etc...for being a stationary firearm it gets pretty dirty and grimy...i will clean it a bit more often because i know its getting gummed up..oil is a dirt magnet..

when oiling it, i dont soak it...i make sure its well oiled...but i make sure its not overly oily. too much oil will only gum it up...i usually oil it, then whip the oil off. the metal will stay oily...thats usually enough...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 PM

You're supposed to do that stuff??

Ut OH!!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

Anyone have instructions on how to break down the bolt on the 700's?
Its handy to have a vise but you can just use something cornered and hard. Just clamp on the piece that contacts your trigger and pull and compress the firing pin. You will see a gap, where you can place a dime or small allen wrench. From there screw off the bolt. Sako is even easier. Never have figured out my browning a-bolt.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I take my Ruger M-77 down each and every year, after deer season...I clean and lube the trigger assembly, barrel, and bolt, check all scope screws and every 5 years or so reseal the stock...I know this isn't necessary but I do it because I like having a clean rifle...I have buddies that wipe off the outside of their gun, let me take 1-2 shots a year to check zero and they go hunting...I just can't do that....
Do you disassemble the bolt on your Ruger? I was under the belief that unlike the Rem 700 the Ruger takes a special tool

Quick Reply: Bolt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.