Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Almost blew myself up yesterday

Old 06-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Almost blew myself up yesterday

I think I may take up reloading someday, but for now I don't know hardly anything about it, and I just don't trust myself to be responsible with that yet.
"A man's got to know his limitations"
Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun308

I think I may take up reloading someday, but for now I don't know hardly anything about it, and I just don't trust myself to be responsible with that yet.
"A man's got to know his limitations"
Right! If you don't trust yourself, don't do it!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 PM

A few months ago I was going to shoot some trap. Didn't have any shells loaded so I ran in the reloading room to run off 4 boxes of 12 ga shotshells. I notice that the powder was low so I grabbed a bottle of powder and dumped some in. In short order I had my 4 boxes of AA's loaded. Out the door I ran. Went to the line and shoved a couple of shells in. I touch the first one off and it felt like I had loaded a 3 incher. which is odd considering I was shooting low brass target loads. I thought maybe I was imagining things so I shot again. This time I knew something was amiss. When I stopped to think about it I couldn't remember what powder I had put in the loader. So I didn't shoot anymore.

I'm still not sure what I put in the loader. We normally load Clay's but I can't remember what I put in there. I ended up throwing those shells in the pond and dumping all the powder from the loader away. I'm certain that I used something other than clays and that I was very lucky that I hadn't blown myself up.

Moral of the story.... Never load when you're in a hurry and always double check what you're doing.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Ill keep this in mind if somthing should ever happen like this. Besides the fact you could have injured or killed your self, your gun probably wouldnt have to it to well neither.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: younggun308
Just one reason I don't reload, I might screw up a cartridge.
You certainly have to pay attention to what you're doing when you are charging cases and seating bullets. But when the day comes that I can't make better ammo than the factories do, I will quit!
Me too! Regards, Rick.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent post!

Glad you didn't get hurt Bruce. Thanks for sharing your story.

I haven't loaded near as many bullets as you (likely around 1000 rifle...but I gotcha beat if we are counting shotgun shells), however, I usea single stage reloader..and I have still ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION, forgotten to load powder. Or my personal favorite....loaded a primer BACKWARDS. How I do these things...I don't know. But...thats why I weigh each round when I am done....if one is ohhhh say 39gr light or so...then I know exactly what I did.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 AM

Wow...you are lucky
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

There was a cool picture of a Dan Wesson .357 mag barrel that had severalbullets 4 or 5 lodged back to back in a older Speer reloading book and there was no damage to the gun! Friggin amazing !!! And the shooter didn't notice till he had just about run the cylinder dry! One strong gun but obviously a practice not recommended........Harold
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for bringing it up. It doesn't have to be the same story but we all need to stop and think when something isn't right.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I had a similar incident with a Colt Anaconda. I missed the powder step on a reload andthe primer pushed the bullet into the barrel. I was fortunate that the bullet only went about 1/2 of its length into the barrel and the other 1/2 was in the cylinder. So I couldn't index the next round. Other wise being young and dumb i probably would have fired the next round.

Quick Reply: Almost blew myself up yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.