Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good copper remover??

Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default good copper remover??

i just bought a 22-250 a couple weeks ago. got 50 or so rounds through it thus far. been cleaning after every few shots(usually groundhog hunting, i'll shoot a few and come home and clean) i been using birchwood casey "bore scrubber" i believe its called. ill patch it, let it soak, patch it, scrub it, patch it, dry it and patches come out clean but i still see copper in the bore. its there before and after cleaning. the solvent gets out some but not all of it. not sure what it does to my accuracy. still havent got a good scope on it so i havent really tested the accuracy. 16 dead chucks says it shoots pretty good...but the copper bugs me. ive never seen that in any of my rifles. not sure what needs to be done.

plan to order a good rod and bore quide with the new scope but should i be using a different solvent?? what do you guys recommend?? when cleaning a rifle like that what cleaning process would you use?? i dont mind cleaning every night after hunting and only firing a couple rounds..ive always been that way with my firearms...just trying to do whats right...but that copper fouling is killing me...i just hate to see it even after ive cleaned the heck out of it!

suggestions?? thanx guys
Old 06-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: good copper remover??

I think you said you had gotten the sps varmit?I have the sps in a reg barrel (blue) and have shot many hot loads in it but haven't had a problem with copper,maybe one barrel is rougher than the other.
A very good copper remover is JB's bore cleaner and Montana 50 BMG.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: herman

I think you said you had gotten the sps varmit?I have the sps in a reg barrel (blue) and have shot many hot loads in it but haven't had a problem with copper,maybe one barrel is rougher than the other.
A very good copper remover is JB's bore cleaner and Montana 50 BMG.
I agree with these two products..
There is also a very good arical about overcleaning barrels and mentions a copper fouling preventing product (can't remember what its called though) as well..Its in the Latest Handloading Mag.....
There might be some truth in whatthe author sayssays..
Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

My son's SPS .270 saved copper like a miser. Try Sweet's 7.62 copper solvent. Also, try Outer's foaming bore cleaner from Wally World. Both are exceptional but the foam is easier.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...

herman..yes its in the SPS varmint. i read 10000 ways to break in a barrel...i figured cleaning every couple rounds will work just as well as the rest...heck, some disagree with it all together..i never owned a NEW rifle..i read after around 50-100 rounds the bore in the 250 will settle in...maybe thats what im seeing it rougher spots that are collecting the copper yet. it is pretty spotty...and seems to be more on the lands than the grooves after cleaning.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

When that sps varmit gets about 200 to 250 rounds through it it will shoot better.I am hoping that when I get that many through my sps reg barrel it will be more constant with different loads.Right now it loves the 40 gr BT.Shot some hor match and sierras in it last week and they shot very good also.(52 and 53 gr).
The last several years with every new gun i get I take and give it a 200 stroke JB treatment(it's on the jar)includeing muzzleloaders and don't evn worry about breaking one in with cleaning between rounds,just clean it after the day at the range.When I start out with a new barrel I want it as clean as possible to start.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

200-250 rounds!?!? man i'll be late in my years before i got that many rounds through her!!

nah....shouldnt take long...plan to keep shootin through the winter...still havent tested the accuracy...when i get the new scope i'll be shooting from a bench and doing it right so we will see. im on my last 10rds or so of federal 55gr ballistic tips. now i either shoot 40gr ballistic silver tips i can buy or i order online...they say my slower twist should like lighter bullets anyways...i just dont know if i want to shoot them coated bullets or not....hey...i wouldnt be posting about copper fouling

actually found the outters foam at walmart today....we will see what happens...actually had a buddy recomend that the other evening when we were groundhog hunting...least it dont smell toxic and nasty
Old 06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I've had good luck with Gunslick foaming cleaner. I'd imagine it's close to the Outers you got @ WalMart. I may have to do 4 or even 5 treatments, letting it soak (with cotton plugging up each end of the pipe) for 2 hours or up to overnite. But I don't have to scrub!

I've used Shooter's Choice ammonia stuff, & it works, but I worry about leaving it in too long, & it still takes multiple treatments.

The bore on my .30-'06 CDL picks up a stupid amount of copper, but it can shoots some awfully pretty groups, so I put up with it.

Let us know how the foam works for ya.

FC
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, that outters foam did the trick! thanx for the recommendation wayspr!!

i did it twice. the first time it came out blue as blue could be...which means it was oxidizing copper. i let each time soak a half hour. really simple to use stuff...no smell...i kinda like it.

watch...now i'll be missing till i get my bore full of copper again lol...

it looks like it got it all out...nice and clean looking...i am now wondering if its the 250s speed that coppers it up or if its rough and i should do a JB treatment on it to smooth it out....i just dont wanna mess it up with a compound like JB...

and i still cant decide what scope i want...well besides a Leupold VX-III LRT with the varmint hunter reticle...thats just way more than i want to spend...

the leupold vx-II 6-18AOT is looking good...maybe..i dont know...for my longer range shots i would rather trust "clicking" my shots in opposed to relying on mildots or other compensating reticles...groundhogs are decint sized critters...but are still only 3-5 inches high while laying down...if my dots are slightly off thats gunna be lots of misses...opposed to knowing its 450yds away and i need 8 clicks up to nail it.

really wont be shooting passed 500 so i think 18x should be fine...realisticly my shots are 350 and less alot of the time...

had my heart set on a burris sig select 8-32x with fine crosshairs...but it only has 22moa of adjustments...that means id most likely be messing around with canted rings or bases to shoot long range with those adjustments...

i dont know....probably ordering the scope next weekend...i need to think on it a bit...or hit the lottery and buy the LRT i want....
Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

any heavy ammonia based cleaner will get the copper out. you need to be careful though . ammonia is potent at eating metal. i just bought some shooters choice cleaner lubricant fp-10. and its supposed to fill the poors of the metal for less copper fouling. im gonna try it this year.

Quick Reply: good copper remover??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.