Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barnes TSX or Nosler Accubond?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
RDJ
Spike

Default Barnes TSX or Nosler Accubond?

Well I went out and bought myself a little early Father's Day present tonight. A Browning Stainless Stalker .338 Win Mag. I am debating between 225 grain Barnes TSX or the 225 grain Nosler Accubond. Has anyone used these out of their .338 and if so with what results? Also, which would be more effective on the larger animals such as moose elk and grizzly? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Barnes TSX or Nosler Accubond?

ORIGINAL: RDJ

Well I went out and bought myself a little early Father's Day present tonight. A Browning Stainless Stalker .338 Win Mag. I am debating between 225 grain Barnes TSX or the 225 grain Nosler Accubond. Has anyone used these out of their .338 and if so with what results? Also, which would be more effective on the larger animals such as moose elk and grizzly? Thanks!
Being the bold applies to your usage the TSX without hesitation. I have used both in 7mm rem mag to harvest elk and moose (no grizzly here), they worked well but the TSX is my elk/moose bullet. Why ?? -pentration, weight rentention, wound channel and minimal meat damage. Not to mention it shoots as good as the accubond in my rifle and others i know as well. When dealing with the larger deer members I like the insurance factor of being able to take a raking shot and knowing it will get to the vitals. Unlike deer you may only have one opportunity and while I advocate shot placement as a key, in the real world big aniamls = solid bullets due to the potentials. The TSX gives me the confidence I want/need when chasing moose and elk.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great rifle, when are you going to the range?

I have heard great things time, and time again on these forums, about how great the following bullets are: TSX, Nosler Partition, Sierra Gameking,and maybe some others.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not used the accubonds yet. The X bullets aere great perfomers but as RR said they didn't shoot well in some rifles. The new TXS is supposed to cure that problem and I wouldn't give up on Barnes without trying them for accuracy. I have heard very little negative on the Accubonds but I have not had a reason to try that kind of bullet Most of my guns shot the X bullets pretty good but I have been a long time user of the Nosler Partition and have vever had season to doubt them.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried barnes bullets years ago, couldn't get the accuracy I was looking for, I moved on to nosler and never looked back.
The tsx is a far different bullet than the original x bullet.I had accuracy and fouling issues with the original x but the tsx has proven to be one of the most accurate bullets in several rifles that I have tested them in.I have aklso found fouling to be virtually non existant with the tsx.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try both to see which shoots best in your particualr gun. If one shoots far btter than the other use that one regardless as eiher will do the job so long as you place the shot proprly.
I kinda would want the Barnes to be the better shooting one myself although the Nosler stuff is very good also.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
DM

Personally, i think i'd use 250 grain mininum in the .338 mag. for the biggest animials... I'm also a "partition" fan, and i do believe they will out penetrate an accubond. That's a good thing when you trying to break a big animial down...

DM