Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 weatherby mag?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Default 270 weatherby mag?

What is everyones opinion on the 270 weatherby mag? I got an old 270 weatherby from my grandpa but the stock is cracked. I was going to fix it but have heard they kick like a mule.

The gun is an older one made in germany with a mauser action and it has been hard to find a stock for it. I have gotten mixed feelings from people, some say thank god the gun is unshootable and some say fix it as fast as I can. So I am looking for a few more opinions before I get a stock for it.

I think I can get a stock from Boyd's but have no experience with their stocks. It wouldn't look like a weatherby but thats not too big of a deal to me.

One other thing, any idea what the gun would be worth? My grandpa bought it at an city auction 40 years ago for 80 dollars. I would assume a different stock would take away from the value but don't really know.

Thanks for any help
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 AM

Default RE: 270 weatherby mag?

I never had any experiance with the 270 Wby Mag but i really like the 300 Wby Mag. Im going to say fix it. Every gun deserves to be shot. I hate when i leave guns sitting around for extended periods of time. I get them to enjoy not to just collect dust. Fix it and shoot it.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have no experience in the 270 WBY but I do shoot the 270 WSM and find the recoil manageable. Personally I would get it fixed but maybe you should check around for price and availability of ammo...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Get it fixed! Weatherbys are valuable, powerful, and accurate rifles in general.I hope you reload, though, because Weatherby's will cost you a fair amount to shoot factory.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get it fixed! Weatherbys are valuable, powerful, and accurate rifles in general.
Having owned two mark Vs,I will agree that the weatherby cartridges are quite powerful,however the accuracy of the rifles has not impressed me.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

An old boss of mine has two 270 Weatherby's and loves them. He used one to take a Mountain goat up in Alaska on a shot that he said was over 500 yards. I would refurbish it and keep it.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

In the beginning Roy Weatherby made rifles on whatever action he had available. This was prior to him developing the Mark V action. The mauser actioned rifle is a good one and it's definitely worth buying a new stock. The 270 Weatherby Magnum caliber is an excellent flat shooting caliber with less recoil than a 7MM Remington Magnum. In the rifle you own the twist rate of the rifling will be 1 in 12. So it may not properly stabilize bullets over 140 grains. Nevertheless, you have an excellent rifle worth much more than the $80 your Grandfather paid for it. Weatherby ammo can be a bit expensive but Federal makes loads for you rifle that are cheaper and very good. Have fun with your new rifle.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ross220

What is everyones opinion on the 270 weatherby mag? I got an old 270 weatherby from my grandpa but the stock is cracked. I was going to fix it but have heard they kick like a mule.

The gun is an older one made in germany with a mauser action and it has been hard to find a stock for it. I have gotten mixed feelings from people, some say thank god the gun is unshootable and some say fix it as fast as I can. So I am looking for a few more opinions before I get a stock for it.

I think I can get a stock from Boyd's but have no experience with their stocks. It wouldn't look like a weatherby but thats not too big of a deal to me.

One other thing, any idea what the gun would be worth? My grandpa bought it at an city auction 40 years ago for 80 dollars. I would assume a different stock would take away from the value but don't really know.

Thanks for any help
Well, it certainly is NOT going to kick any more than a 7mm Remington Magnum, which kicks a lot like the .30/'06.......

If it is one of the ones made in Roy Weatherby's shop on an FN Mauser action, it is an excellent rifle, and deserves to be repaired if the bore is not shot out.
Where's the crack? Can't you repair the Weatherby stock with epoxy?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Wow thanks for all the replys everyone. From some of the stories I have heard I would need to put my eyeballs back in after I shot it, if my shoulder was still functioning. I will take it to a gun smith and have the bore and everything checked out prior to shooting it.

If I like shooting the gun I was thinking about takeing it to kill my sheep this year.

Has anyone used a boyds stock before? Which style did you have?

Yes, I reload so that might help with the ammo.

The crack in the stock starts near the front of the fore stock and runs the full length of the stock to just behind the trigger guard. I wasn't sure if it was fixable or not, so I went with the side of caution and planned on getting a new one.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....From some of the stories I have heard I would need to put my eyeballs back in after I shot it, if my shoulder was still functioning...."
I think it is likely that you have been oversold on the recoil factor of these smaller "magnums" like the 270 Weatherby Mag. More folklore than reality, unless your body is deteriorating.
Practice even the basics of recoil management andyour 270 Weatherbywill be a walk in the park.
[By "basics" I don't mean just "going out and giving her a go and see what happens" ----understand BEFORE you pull the trigger.]

Quick Reply: 270 weatherby mag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.