Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06

Old 06-06-2007, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25-06

25-06, Ruger makes one that lots of people like.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to be a nay-sayer, but I will say that I personally think there are better choices. Here are a few reasons why:

First of all, in my experience, 25-06's can be fairly finicky when it comes to ammo. While this can be true of certain rifles in dang near ANY caliber, it seems to exemplify itself in the 25-06 more often than not. And by finicky, I don't mean that it will shoot Federals great but doesn't like Remingtons...oh no...not quite that simple, more like it won't shoot any factory ammo much better than another, but certainly none good as it should (think around 2" or so at 100). While thats not bad for some short barreled deep woods brush guns...this is supposed to be a 400 yard gun...and 2" at 100...ain't really gonna get it done on medium game and espeically not varmints. I have spent some serious time working with some of my customers and they have spent some serious time and money handloading to get them to shoot those nice .5" groups you hear about so often. There again...this isn't always the case, but considering how many 25-06s I have had contact with (5 if I remember right, 3 with issues...all the same problem), its a fairly high percentage. Keep in mind...might just be a bum steer on my part. Luck does work both ways sometimes.

I'd steer you more in the direction of a 6.5x55 (if you can find one) or the .260, which is just sweet! If you want to do more varminting with the occasional deer hunt...I'd recommened a 6mm Rem, or a .243, though I prefer the 6mm. If you are a handloader, then the 7mm-08 is the way to go. I have loaded some 100gr flat based bullets that shoot like lazers, and the handloads you can produce with 120gr bullets will shoot flatter than factory 25-06 ammo. Plus, you have the option of loading up to 175gr bullets for big game, should you choose to, although I think a 160gr option would be better.

Just some food for thought. Nothing wrong with the 25-06, lots of loyal fans and many deer killed. Just make sure no matter what you get, you put your money into the scope, rings and bases!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all, in my experience, 25-06's can be fairly finicky when it comes to ammo. While this can be true of certain rifles in dang near ANY caliber, it seems to exemplify itself in the 25-06 more often than not. And by finicky, I don't mean that it will shoot Federals great but doesn't like Remingtons...oh no...not quite that simple, more like it won't shoot any factory ammo much better than another, but certainly none good as it should (think around 2" or so at 100).
It sounds like you are judging the cartridge based on a single gun,which is by no means a fair judgement.A hunting partner has a tikka t-3 in 25-06 that shoots virtually every load that he has tested into less than an inch at 100 yards.A few loads constantly do 3/4" or better.I have never seen a 25-06 that was as bad as the one that you describe.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 AM

If I had the choice between a 270 and a 25-06 i would pick the 270 in a heart beat for deer. Like stated earlier, over 300,325 yards I know the 270 has an edge.

I would also buy a 223 like you were thinking for varmints. Unless you are hunting coyotes on steriods or wolfs, do you really need 85 grainers? Normally if you hunt varmints you are firing a good amount of ammo. The 223 ammo is cheap and super accurate for the little critters.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

First of all, in my experience, 25-06's can be fairly finicky when it comes to ammo. While this can be true of certain rifles in dang near ANY caliber, it seems to exemplify itself in the 25-06 more often than not. And by finicky, I don't mean that it will shoot Federals great but doesn't like Remingtons...oh no...not quite that simple, more like it won't shoot any factory ammo much better than another, but certainly none good as it should (think around 2" or so at 100).
It sounds like you are judging the cartridge based on a single gun,which is by no means a fair judgement.A hunting partner has a tikka t-3 in 25-06 that shoots virtually every load that he has tested into less than an inch at 100 yards.A few loads constantly do 3/4" or better.I have never seen a 25-06 that was as bad as the one that you describe.
It sounds like you have trouble reading an entire paragraph for composition. Go back and try one more time....in fact...I'll pick up where you left off....and I'll even highlight the important stuff for you...

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

.....While thats not bad for some short barreled deep woods brush guns...this is supposed to be a 400 yard gun...and 2" at 100...ain't really gonna get it done on medium game and espeically not varmints. I have spent some serious time working with some of my customers and they have spent some serious time and money handloading to get them to shoot those nice .5" groups you hear about so often. There again...this isn't always the case, but considering how many 25-06s I have had contact with (5 if I remember right, 3 with issues...all the same problem), its a fairly high percentage. Keep in mind...might just be a bum steer on my part. Luck does work both ways sometimes.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

Like stated earlier, over 300,325 yards I know the 270 has an edge.
I'm going to disagree with this. The 25-06 shoots as flat orflatter and has nearly as much energy at distances of out to400 and 500 yards. 300 yards is way too close IMO to see any "edge". Not dissing the 270, just saying the 25-06 can do anything on deer and smaller game that the 270 can. I'll give the "edge" to the 270 on elk, but I wouldn't be using a 270 anyways.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM

I would say that the 25-06 is an excellent choice with only one caveat....prairie dog shooting.

granted the 25-06 will work for this endeavor but itburns too much powder to be an excellent choice forthe dog town. generally speaking I like a small cartridge that doesn't heat the barrel up as quickly.when you go to the dog town your hope is too shoot a bunch of rounds. The 223 is a better choice for this situation in that itburns less powder, is easier on barrels, andcheaper to shoot.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would an AR-15 be good for a prairie dog?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

you fellows shooting the 25/06 what is the best powder to try with the 90 gr sierras? I tried some monday with R-19 but didn't do so good.Shot some with 3031 awhile back but could't get less than 1/2 inch.
troutdudes,either one the 270 or the 25/06 would be a great caliber I have both and one doesn't kill a deer any better than the other.If you reload you can make either one hump.
The 223 I would look at the savage with the 1:9 twist you can shoot light and heavy bullets.Don't know about how the tikka shoots in the 223 but I think they have a 1:8 twist not sure,but do know they shoot in the 25/06 and the 308.and a lot of other calibers.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen a 25-06 that was as bad as the one that you describe.
My mistake,three problem rifles on your part.

But I will repeat

I have never seen a 25-06 that was as bad as the one that you describe.
I have only fired four 25-06s myself,and while the others were not as accurate with every load tested as the t-3,all four would do sub MOA with their favorite load.And none were any more fussy than any other chambering that I have loaded for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.