Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first groundhog!!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default first groundhog!!

i know this belongs on the small game forum...but you guys helped me shop for my groundhog gun...so i'll post the pic here..

got off work and ran to get scope mounts and bases and ammo. ended up buying Weaver Quad Lock mounts and bases and Federal 55grain ballistic tips. mounted the scope and ran a target out into the pasture.

first shot i didnt even hit the big cardboard box! uht oh. well...that was about 65-75yds. so i went upto about 10yds and zeroed the scope pretty close. back to the far hillside. got her shooting about an inch high at 65-75yds. figured i'll be pretty flat to about 200yds or so...

so i had 2hrs left before sundown and ran to the groundhog fields...first field the farmer got done milking early and the cows were in the pasture already so i ran to the next field. got there and nothing was out. finally i was about to pack up for the day and i noticed a little one feeding a couple feet out in the field. CRACK!!! the chuck looked around. WTF...i had to be high. racked another shell in..aimed at the bottom of the body...CRACK! i sent him flying. the bullet climbs from 50-100yds and comes back down at 150...so if im an inch or so high at 65 im closer to 2 high at 100. it was only 100yd shot...but it felt good to kill one with the new rifle.

the cheap 4-12scope that is on it isnthalf bad...rather clear and seemed to move when i was adjusting it...its coming off when i get the cash...but for now i think it'll work.

i really like the 22-250 already. fun rifle to shoot and seems really accurate. i put holes in holes at 65-75yds. i really like the new rifle as well. feels really good. trigger is a bit stiff but nice and crisp..i'll get it worked on shortly.

heres my first hog and the rifle.

remington 700 SPS Varmint in .22-250. (yes the stock is OD green. kinda ugly..but i kinda like it in the same sense lol...)

thanx everyone that put up with my million questions lately!! be back to the groundhogs tomarrow evening if the weather is ok!!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first groundhog!!

I have yet to see one of those with an OD stock on them. That might have convinced me to buy one instead of my Tikka.....

Good shooting, once you get some more time at the range you'll be a killing machine with that piece!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

they dont even show it on their website with the OD green stock...not sure if it was a special run for D ick's sporting goods or what...i checked it over to make sure it was quality lol. stock is kinda plasticy...but really not bad for a factory stock for the price. the mspr on their site is 605. i paid 50 less and got the scope. not a great scope...but it seems like it'll get me by till i get a GOOD scope.

i defiently need range time..no doubt. hopefully next weekend dad can take me. im not a member anywhere..usually do my shooting at the farm from guessed distances off the shooting sticks or hay bales...

my harris bipod was an hour or 2 from my house at 7pm...should hopefully be here before i leave tomarrow afternoon in search of more groundhogs!!

i really like the heavy barrel. i could fire a shot and give it 5-10 minutes and it was completely cool.

i still cant get over the muzzle flash i was seeing in the daylight!! and thats from a 26" barrel. ive actually never fired a 22-250...i cant get over how hard that 20cal bullet can be pushed! probably the coolest SOUNDING caliber out there..not overly loud...but has an awesome crack

the bipod will definently help alot..that stock just aint shaped for shootin sticks...i never had a problem with my shootin sticks..but a bipod will make me much more accurate...

hopefully the rain misses me tomarrow!!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on your first groundhog with your new .22-250 . damn nice rifle too , i like the stock as well . the color in my opinion is rather nice looking , at least in the pic anyway
Old 06-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a ton of fun...That Remington trigger can be adjusted pretty easily, when you are ready to tackle it give a shout...Good Luck tomorrow...Oh yea, you're right about a 22-250, I killed a 10 point with one years ago using mine, had my future brother-in-law with me at the time, he had his 1100, I had my 700 in 22-250, he asked, what caliber is that? I said "its a 22, but it goes real fast"...After I shot the buck he said, "Dang did you see the fire that came out of that barrel? That's a hellof a .22!!! Figure that says it about right for the
22-250...
Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

well....today went pretty dang well!! didnt do a whole lot of huntin actually...it was disgustingly hot and humid. i work outside 5 days a week..if i dont have to get hot and sweaty i tend not to lol.

i did manage to kill 3 in 3 shots though!! i sat over the pasture for a half hour or so...seen one when i pulled in and he disappeared. after a half hour or so he popped back up...CRACK!! flattened her right out near 175yds away. after that i walked to the fields behind me. i never noticed the large sets of groundhog holes in them till today low and behold one was sitting ontop of its hole 100yds away. CRACK!!! im not exzaggerating when i say it was airborn about 2+ foot.

then i went back to the farm to BS with my buddys some more...i then went to my other buddys and did more BSing with his dad...we spotted one in the field and he said have at it. he must been shot at before..i didnt make it 10 steps and he was gone. so i went across the road intothe pasture and one took off running about 80yds away. stupid thing stopped and stood up. CRACK!! down he went.

so thats 4 for 4 with the new gun....id have to say im in love!

nchawkeye...if you want, you can prepare a PM to me when you got time...take your time and do it when you get around to it..not in a hurry...i'm decint with gun parts and i'll definently do it myself if its not too difficult...thanx alot
Old 06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on getting the new rifle broken in! I must say I'm jealous. We don't have those little critters here in East Texas to hunt.

I think the OD green stock on the gun looks awsome! Makes it look a little more deadly to me.

I don't think it would take a fortune teller to see many, many, many more groundhogs and yotes on the ground in your future!!!

Schoolcraft
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

the green definently grew on me i must say. i honestly wasnt going to even ask to look at it because at first glance you just think EWWW...but man...it grew on me...black would looked too plain IMO...

couple years down the road when its marked and dinged and scratched im going to tiger strip it...green on the black and black on the green...but that wont be for a long while...it looks good how it is.

i really love the gun...already considering deer hunting with it in the fall if i dont get one with the bow. i know they make 60+gr pills for it thatll drop a deer in a hurry...heavy and long....but it'll make a nice treestand rifle.

lots of groundhogs will fall to it this summer im sure...i never done no yote or fox hunting....but since i got the rifle i just may have to start...gimme something to do when there aint much else to do!

if/when i move out west it'll be a prarie dog and varmint/predator killin machine...i really love it...i hear accuracy will only get better after the barrel breaks in fully..wouldnt bother me if it does...but it'll be hard to get much better! lol
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

if/when i move out west it'll be a prarie dog and varmint/predator killin machine
Just wait 'til you see how high 22-250's make prairie dogs jump. The last prairie dog I saw get shot with one honestly flew about 5' up and 10' to the right. Only a chunk of hide kept it from getting blown in half.[8D]

I'm still trying to get in the good graces of a rancher south of here who has a dog town on his land that is 5 miles long and 2 miles wide.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser...I have done several trigger jobs on 700s...Here is the quick and dirty way that I do it....

Remove the barrel and action...Remove the screw that holds the magazine in...
There are 3 screws in the trigger assembly, 2 in front and one in the back...One adjusts the sear, one over travel and one poundage....

Check the current trigger setting, I use a digital fish scale, most come from the factory at about 5 1/2 pounds....The lower front screw adjusts the poundage...To reduce you turn counter clockwise...Usually 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn...
Recheck the poundage (I never go under 2 1/2 pounds)...Reseal with clear fingernail polish and you are done....

Disclaimer....If you are crazy enough to listen to someone on the Internet and do this, and blow your head off, don't blame me...

This procedure will void the warranty (so I hear)...And I have found several places on the Internet that go into more detail, but this has worked for me...

Make sure after doing so that you check to make sure the hammer won't fall when you slam the bolt closed, or set it down smartly on the butt (of course the gun should be unloaded when doing so...)

If this gun was bought used, you might want to clean the trigger assemble with disc brake cleaner and lube as well while you have the barrel off the stock...Also, recheck the zero, as removing and reinstalling will change the tension of the screws that hold the barrel to stock and can change zero...

Quick Reply: first groundhog!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.