Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

crack in wood gun stock help?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Default crack in wood gun stock help?

Would like to repair a 4 inch long crack in my savage fox double barrel shotgun main stock. Any ideas what to try without goint to gun repair shop.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Default RE: crack in wood gun stock help?

Not knowing where the crack is . . . or your skill level . . .
Some general steps that will work no matter:

First thing, take stock off gun. (Probably remove butt plate, locate screw(s) in hole, un screw from main frame). Use clear epoxy. A lot of guys use the 5 minute variety, but I like the "regular" epoxy because you have a longer "working time", and I do believe it is a stronger bond. (I wouldn't recomend something like Gorilla glue. It is a great glue, but expands as it cures). Good to have some denatured alchohol handy, it cleans up excess epoxy and fingers! (Test finish with alchohol in an obscure area before rubbing it on. If finish is a shelac, alchohol will soften it. Then just wipe with old t-shirt.)
You will want to practice clamping BEFORE applying glue. Use soft jawed clamps or probably even better, electrical tape. More times than not, the surface is curved and not condusive to using clamps. (Could dent the wood too!)
You will want to spread the crack gently with some kind of small wedge. Something plastic or metal so it won't stick to glue as easy. This allows you to apply the glue into and on the crack. Better to mix too much glue than not enough. It shouldn't take much, even a 4" crack.
Mix even amounts of epoxy well! Have "clamps/tape", wedges, glue and alchohol handy before starting.Good idea to have a small piece of wax paper to cover crack after gluing and before taping/clamping. This will not stick to tape/clamps and make clean up easier. Also, gently and carefully wipe a "floor wax" around crack, but don't get it in the crack, before inserting epoxy. Makes clean up better.
Spread crack (Just enough to get glue in), work glue into entire crack. If this is hard, you can remove wedge and squeeze crack to spread glue inside crack. Use hand to "clamp" stock and squeeze as much glue out as ytou can. Clean crack off with alchohol. (Try not to use paper towels. Old t-shirt is better.) Tape/clamp very good, clean up excess epoxy that squeezes out. Letcure at least 24 hours.
If all goes well, crack should disappear and be stronger than adjoining wood. Replace stock and vola!
If some finish topuch up or clean up needs to be done, Carefully remove glue with razor blade to match surface of wood. Gently rub with fine Scotch brite pad, and touch up with a "wipe-on" wood finish.
Whew! My fingers are tired . . .

Good luck. PM me if you have problems/???'s
Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your help will do these steps thursday in after noon. i'lllet you know how i made out in a couple of days.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gorilla glue- use a syringe to inject a little water into the crack first, Gorilla glue is water activated. Epoxy works good too, but is messier.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duct tape would be quicker, less hassle, and can be redone over and over if necessary.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM

thunter . . . How'd it turn out?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:56 AM

Your idea with opxy worked great thank you very much for your hepl