Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Panther AR-15?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Panther AR-15?

Hey Guys, I was looking at AR-15's online, and saw the DMPS Panther rifles, and in the 7.62x39 chambering, they appear pretty cheap for the kind of rifle they are, are theserifles any good?Here's a link:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/?cat=1738

There's a freakin' huge amount of .223 AR's, here's one:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1066&cat=1716

Here's the available barrel lengths for .223

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/?cat=1715

(Above where it advertises the pump-rifle, there's the possible barrel lengths.)

Again,myquestion is, are any of these good? I might even want to get one within a 3-year period.They look cool, anyway.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Panther AR-15?

DPMS make good rifles, and not only because they are manufactured in minnesota. I do not own one, but got feedback on them, among others making AR's they always brought very good feedback. I was and still am interested in their .260 version.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

When budget constraints allow, I plan to get one of their .243's.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I meantioned the .223 and the 7.62x39 is because I want a gun that can shoot a cheap cartridge, and 7.62x39 is probably the cheapest there is, second to rimfire. From what I hear, .223 stocks are going down, and it's harder to find now, but I think a .223 wouldn't be bad either, but the 7.62x39 has more "ooomph", you know, and I personally have experiance shooting the cartridge with an SKS. Is the ammo accurate, or is the cartridge itself crappy for accurate, plinking, and cheap? Or should I concentrate my interests on .223?

The rest of the cartridge offerings are rather expensive, over $1,000 which is not very much for an AR, but still too high of a price for some, including me, just the price it already has, for the cheapest ones in .223 and 7.62x39, are going to require over a year of saving up, and I'm not sure I have that kind of time, since the dumb bill in the congress is threatening to cut the AR's off the market, but, then again, the VT shootings were a blessing in disguise for us gun owners and the gun lobby, since when ABC and CNN took polls if there should be stricter gun control laws, it showed to the world, that the American people, want to keep their guns, with the War on Terror going on and all, just as people bought moreguns during the Cold War, funny thing is, after VT, handgun sales went up 53% all across America, 'cause people saw that if there's a loophole for insane people to get guns, they want to have some themselves, to protect themselves from other people who can't be trusted with guns, who, may have or may be able to get guns.

Sorry about running off into politics-forum material, just got started. At some point in my life, an AR would be a piece of controversy I would be proud to have in my possesion, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon, as I am still paying off debt for my hunting rifle.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a DPMS Lo Pro in the Fall of 2002, when some knucklehead was shooting up DC with a Bushmaster. At the time, I figured I should buy one while I still could.

The gun had FTF and FTE issues, and I could never get off more than 4 rounds without some kind of problem. I put it in the closet & didn't do anything with it, since I wasn't really into shooting that much back then (still married.).

Last Summer, I figured I should either "produce a bowel movement" or get off the pot, so I got it back out, & had the same problems. I called DPMS, and they told me to send it in, even though it was well out of warranty. I got it back in 4 days, even over the 4th of July, & it fed beautifully. In fact, it's quite the shooter. Should I ever get going on learning to hunt coyotes, it'll be my go-to gun.

In short, I don't know about the other companies, like Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster, et. al. I do know, however, that I'm extremely pleased with how the DPMS folks handled my problem. I was actually getting the itch for an AR in .308, and I'd have no problem going with DPMS once again.

Hope this helps,

FC
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

but the 7.62x39 has more "ooomph", you know, and I personally have experiance shooting the cartridge with an SKS. Is the ammo accurate, or is the cartridge itself crappy for accurate, plinking, and cheap? Or should I concentrate my interests on .223?
There is 'accurate' 7.62x39 ammo out there, but you aren't going to buy it for cheaper than .223. Wolf and a few surplus sources for 7.62x39 is (more like was) cheap a few years ago, but accuracy isn't very good- its cheaply made ammo. The 7.62x39 is capable of excellent accuracy, but to get that, you'll pay $15 a box for the ammo or will have to handload it yourself. On the other side of the equation is the 'cheap' .223 ammo. You can buy remanufactured balck hills ammo for around $20/50rd box, and for even cheaper, buy Ultramax (though I don't necessarily reccommend Ultramax) and you'll get decent to very good accuracy.

I don't think 7.62x39 ammo is going to be any more readily available than .223- it was very difficult to come by last year and was about 2x the normal price if you could find it.

I would highly reccomend an AR in .223, if you need more oomph, you can get an upper in anything from 6.8 SPC to .458 socom. I'd save the 7.62x39 for the plinkers and noisemakers like the AKM and SKS or for a bolt action if you really are interested in reloading it.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

To add: DPMS makes good rifles.
They've been in a highly competitive business for several years and wouldn't be around if they turned out junk at the AR-15 price point. They aren't in the same league as Colt (of course you would be paying ALOT for the prancing pony and a few extra features that other manufacturers generally don't put into their rifles- but most people don't these the features anyhow), but they are every bit as good as Bushmaster, Armalite, and Oly.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chee, thanks Briman, I didn't know that Black Hills ammo can cost as little as $10.00 per 25 cartridges, or $20.00 per 50, that's good, of course, it is remanufactured, but that sounds good.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse two months ago, and boy is it a crappy place, but one thing that caught my eye was a500 round box of UMC .223 ammo, for $100-$150, I thought, "Hey, that's kinda' affordable, at that rate, but is UMC any good?"

Is UMC ammo any good? Would you consider that price to be good? I have no reason to buy that ammo, though, since I don't have a .223, and none of my family members do.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I ever got an AR-15, I would probably not get any fancy scopes, just would use the cool sights that AR's come with, but I would have to make sure I got the kind that comes with the standard M16/M4-style sights.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

a500 round box of UMC .223 ammo, for $100-$150, I thought, "Hey, that's kinda' affordable, at that rate, but is UMC any good?"
If I'm not mistaken, UMC is a brand name owned by Remington. I've shot a lot of it in my pistols, but not in my AR.

Quick Reply: Panther AR-15?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.