Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

groundhog gun

Old 05-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default groundhog gun

ok...the ole aughtsix just aint cuttin it anymore for my groundhog shooting needs. between it being a WWII sporterized mauser with original barrel and trigger(both of which need replaced) and the bullet drop i just think its time for a new gun. a weeks pay and i can buy a Handi-rifle and a scope...i been wanting to for years just never have.

how accurate are the handi-rifles?? probably just go with the plain jane bull barreled model unless someone talks me out of it.

now lets talk caliber...this will be a groundhog gun. probably never anything but a varmit gun. if i move out west maybe a predator/prarie dog gun..whatever..still a varmit gun. im looking for flat shooting, accuracy and something that'll do its job. im leaning towards 22-250, 223 or 204 ruger...all seem comparable with trajectory...id have to imagine the 22-250 being a little more versitale and packing more of the punch...

scope...i dont know...maybe 100-150$ high power BSA? ive used a couple and actually never had troubles with them. one on a 308 and one on a 223...the 223 was an abolt and shot excellent and i couldnt believe it was a BSA scope...

what do you guys think?? figure for 350 or so i can have me a new groundhog rig...but will it BE a groundhog rig or a waste of money???
Old 05-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: groundhog gun

The shooters I know with these rifles are happy with them, getting about 1 moa for what they do. Used for yotes around here, but Western Groundhogs would benefit from the 22 250. I just can't see pushing heavier lead unless wind drift drives you batty. The last piece I handled had a decent trigger, but some get that tuned up bit. These are an easy way to step into a caliber without a bank loan.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd opt for the .22-250 and go with a Simmons for an affordabl scope rather than the BSA. The couple BSA's I've looked through were horrible. Definately not worth the $100+ cost. I prefer Burris but for a less expensive alterernative look at Simmons. Best prices I've found for them have been at Natchez Shooters Supply (www.natchezss.com) Actually used one of them today and was pretty darn impressed for a 3-9x40 that cost less than $40.
As far as the H&R's. Got one in .357 maximum that'll keep a 1" group at 100yrds. Good enough for me.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys. im going to do my shopping probably saturday. dad says i better head down the gunshop and see if i cant find a used 700 or 70 in 22-250 first. which is a great idea if i can find one that has a good bore. if not i'll order a new handirifle...id like a 700 the more i think about it...then down the road i can throw on a custom stock and barrel and trigger etc....not sure how much aftermarket stuff is out there for a handirifle...

or........ive always wanted a TC encore...maybe i'll save another check...buy one in 22-250 and then before deer season buy my deer barrel for it...

lots of options....within a couple weeks here i should have a new groundhog shooter with any luck.....

think the 22-250 is a good caliber??? i just want pretty much flat shootin out to 300 or so...just put the crosshairs on the chuck and squeeze one off....im going to look at trajectory tables of other calibers...i just know the 22-250 is a screamer...i honestly dont know a whole lot about 20cals..any help there incase i find a different 20cal i like??
Old 05-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why don't you just buy a 700 in .243..then you have a groundhog and a deer rifle????

I'm not real fond of the Encore...By the time you buy 2 barrels and a scope to go with it you can buy one nice bolt and a one good scope...If you are scared that the .243 isn't enough for deer, go with a 25-06....
btw...how many groundhogs do you kill in a year??? If less than 25 or so, you could even go with a 7mm-08 and not get knocked around too much to shoot a box of ammo in an afternoon....
Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Why don't you just buy a 700 in .243..then you have a groundhog and a deer rifle????

That's what I started with over 30 years ago,can't go wrong...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 2 groundhog rigs a 223rem and a 6mmrem that i use for deer and ghogs. If they actually made guns in the caliber still very few doand ammo wasnt really hard to find and pricey i'd say a 6mmrem would be the way to go. I've busted hogs alot farther than i shouldve been able to with that 6mm. 223 works great though also. I've busted hogs with it out to 350yards on more than one occassion. I have a savage model 110 custom stock and trigger job and its a real shooter. 50gr Hornady Vmax's and the groundhogs dont go anywhere. As far as the handi rifles go i had one in a 243win and i wasnt overly impressed by it I killed deer and groundhogs with it but I never was really confident in the gun so i traded it off. Alot of people really love the handi rifles though!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are three types of groundhog rigs. I categorize them by distance a person plans too shoot.
Out to 150 yards- 22 Hornet
From 0 to 300 yards- 223 Remington(nothing heavier is necessary out to 300 yards).
From 0-600 yards- Any good caliber between .243 and .264(I like my 6.5X284). A 243 Winchester would also make a great choice for this distance.

The Handi-rifle will make for a fine GH rifle. If you are wanting too shoot past 300 yards then I believe you will have a problem with inexpensive optics. I also believe the Encore would be a better choice. I have a few different barrels for mine, and I really like it. Tom.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are really bent on a .224 cal., then the 22-250 is most definitely what I would buy. If, however, you can be swayed, I think the .243 is the greatest. I had one in 700 BDL Varmint years ago, and I traded it for a new Swift. That .243 was one of the best shooting rifles I ever owned. I've been trying to track it down ever since. That does not by any means indicate they all shoot that good, as I own a 700 with a 22 in. "whippy tube" that I cannot get close to duplicating the old Varmint.
The main reason that I hound the credentials of the .243 over the .224's is primarily wind drift at 300+ yds. Yes, speed helps compensate for wind, but only to a certain degree. Look at wind drift tables/ bullet wt/speed. I think you will be surprised. The .243 has lots of bullet weights and styles available. If you can work up a consistent, repeatable accurate load for it, I think you will be a happy camper. I own a heavy Swift and a heavy 22-250 also, but always felt the .243 was more dependable on the long stuff. Just my opinion and experience...........Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...lots of good info.

i dont NEED another deer rifle. just been wanting an encore to retire the mauser till i get around to getting a new barrel and trigger for it..

i'll probably head to the gunshop saturday and see what he got.

most my shots will be 300 or less...but theres some opprotunity to reach out there farther.

i know cheap optics are never the way to go...but i figure that a cheaper scope will get me by till i get a better piece of glass on it. im in college and only work during the summer so i dont wanna spend all my money in one place lol...i just been wanting a 20 cal for my groundhog hunting and target shooting. depending on the year i usually clean out close to 50 groundhogs a year....all depends how much i get to hunt. this year i SHOULD already be in double digits...only hunted 2 or 3 times...cant say i hit any of them!!! pretty sure the scope is off on the mauser...but its tough to hit a brown furry speck 200+yds away with a gun that isnt as accurate as it once was...ontop of the rough factory trigger...

im hoping to find a 700 or 70 in 22-250 at the shop. throw a scope on it and call it good for this year...then i can build on as time goes on...

Quick Reply: groundhog gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.