Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

any help??

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default any help??

looking for a little help/info. i do alot of groundhog hunting with my 3006. while it does the job on groundhogs the trajectory just isnt as flat as id like with 150gr bullets. i only shoot out to 300yds or so...but those inches are the difference between a hit and a miss on a groundhog...sometimes im good, others i cant hit if you pay me. just takes a while to get used to estimating the range and hold over.

i found custom loaders online that will load me ammo just a tad higher than i pay for factory ammo. i was wondering if someone can give me the trajectory tables of 150gr ballistic tips at 2900fps and 110gr hornady V-max bullets at 3400fps.

thats another reason i want to switch...the 110gr vmax bullets will be a much better bullet and will most likely explode on impact. where i hunt is farmland..but surrounded by houses and developments not overly far away. i shoot safe. usually from one hillside to the other...but id feel better having a highly frangible bullet than standard.

anyone able to help?? just wanted to see the numbers and see what the difference 500 or so fps would make..im guessing it'll make it pretttty flat out to my 300 or so. thanx for the help
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any help??

Can't help with the trajectory questions but I'd suggest rather than paying extra for this specialty ammo , just buy an inexpensive reloading set-up (single stage) and load up your own. You'll be able to tweak the laods better to suit your particualr rifle. It won't take long with such a simple set-up to have it pay for itself either.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem with the '06 here is that with a .308" bullet light enough to drive fast, the ballistic coefficient is too low to make it much better than a heavier bullet with a lower MV. In the example above, the 150 grain bullet hasovertaken the 110 by the time both have gone400 yards or so.

However, if you were to use the Nosler 125-grain Ballistic Tip (BC .366), and load it to 3250 FPS MV, which is possible from an '06, and zero it in to hit +3.5" @ 200 yards, it will be pretty close to dead on at 300. This means that under 300 yards, you'd have to aim at the lower part of the varmint to hit it. But you could still aim at, rather than above, the critter......
Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell you how I show a lot of fellows at the range how to shoot out to 300 yds and is pretty easy but you still have to practice just as you would if you were useing drop charts.
This works with about any regular caliber,but for high speed mags or really fast small calibers they will hit higher at 300 yds.This works with scopes with regular post and cross hairs.Take and place some clay birds or ground hog,deer or what ever target at 100,200 and 300 yds.
Take your 150 gr 30/06 zero it dead on at 100yds,at 200 you will be a couple inches high but after you shoot a couple rounds you will know just how to hold.At 300 use the tip of your post dead on.After a few shots you will again know how to hold the post on the target.I think you can get the idea now.
I have shown a lot of fellows at the range and they were pretty impressed at hitting the clay birds at 300 pretty often.Showed a fellow last summer and he told me this year that he had done just as I said and shot a deer useing the post and hit it just behind the shoulder perfect at 300 yds.
My shooting buddie and I shoot a lot of rounds at least one day a week and 99% are at 100 and 300 yds,we seldom shoot at 200 except to see where the inpact is with a hunting rifle,working out a blistic dot.mill dotand clay birds with the 17hmr.We use mostly target scopes but when we are useing one with a regular cross hair we use this method instead of changeing clicks up and down.