Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Encore

Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default Thompson Encore

I am interested in some honest observations and experiences with the Thompson Encore rifle line. Are they as accurate as it is claimed? Are you happy with yours or is it something to stay away from. Any skinny on the rifle line would be appreciated and I would liketo hear from both the muzzleloading guysand the rifle hunters. To sum it up, is it a good reliable hunting weapon. Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson Encore

I can sum my experience up with 2 words-HELL YEAH! I've never seen a bad 1 yet. You can do anything with it that you have barrels for. Only thing I reccomend is to get oversize hingepin. Install a scope on each barrel and when you put it (scoped barrel)on,it'll still be on target.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try using the "search" feature. This topic has been beat to death several times, but since it will probably be rehashed several more times, here is my take. The Encore is an excellent "system", but I personally haven't had very good luck getting factory barrels to shoot to my expectations. My son has a custom shop 270 barrel that will shoot 1" or under all day at 100 yards off a bench, and I have a VVG 300WSM barrel that is super accurate. The only factory barrel that I have is a Prohunter 50 cal ML barrel, and it has acceptable accuracy. In my opinion, an oversized hinge pin and a trigger job are a must for every Encore, but overall, I am a fan.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Spike

Thanks to both of you for your insight. Your opinions are the best way of determing the pros and cons before I make my wife mad again with yet another gun purchase. At leastnow Ican useyou guys as the reason. Before I did the post, I tried the search engine with the option of checking all forums for "Thompson Encore" and I received a negative response. I probably did something wrong.Thanks again four your input....WLA
Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I just sold one last year with 50 cal barrel that was a one hole shooter,Had a 45 cal barrel ,and T/C exchanged that one for me but didn't ever get either one to shoot.Got a 25/06 barrel and it shot fair but really nothing to brag about.Put scopes on all but had to re zero every time I changed barrels.Had trigger set at 2.5 lbs.Walnut stock and foreend.Oversize pin.
My brother had all his guns stolen so I let him have the encore for muzzlerloader.
First pic was zeroing scope to try the 200 gr xtp.Last 3 shots at top.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 PM
bigcountry

Honest truth, they usually come from teh factory with loose hinge bolts and forarm needs to be freefloated and a trigger job. I had the hole in the barrel milled to match a hole in the reciever and a oversized pin installed. I also had the hanger system installed and glassed in the foreame and now its awesomely accurate. Muzzleloaders have been hit or miss. I have a barrel now that is good, but went thru another one.

If I had it to do over, I would just buy bolts.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have three barrels for mine. Two are custom barrels, and one stock factory 30-06 barrel.The custom barrels were both made by MGM. One is a 6.5X284 that is 29 inches long, and ported. The other barrel is a 358 Winchester pistol barrel-12 inches in length, and is ported. The factory barrel will shoot under an inch, if I do my part. My best groups have hovered around 5/8 of an inch at 100 yards. It will shoot just over 2 inch groups at 300 yards. I am very pleased with that. The MGM barrels will shoot better than I can shoot. I am working on the loads for these two barrels right now. Both easily shoot under an inch, and the 6.5X284 will really shoot. I think the Encore is the easiest, and cheapest way to get into a custom cartridge, custom match chamber, andcustom barrel length.

The first thing you need to do is have the trigger worked by someone who knows what they are doing. I have two actions that were worked on. One by Bellm, and one by Stratton. I am very pleased with both jobs. I fully agree with stalkingbear about the hinge pin. You can buy other custom rifles, but IMO you will have alot more money in them. They may shoot a little better than the Encore's. But my Encore's shoot as well as I am capable of shooting.

The Encore's are also an inexpensive way to have a stock built to fit you. I personally have two left handed thumbhole stock's, with high cheek pieces. They fit very well. I am, having a pistol grip built right now with a LH High-Thumb rest. Tom.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Spike

Bigcountry: Thanks for your input.Where did you find the proper hinge pins? I am originally from Carroll County, Maryland, but I have been in Florida for 20 years. I heard the deer hunting has gotten better and the pheasant hunting has disappeared sinceI left. Thanksagain and good hunting. /s/Muskethead.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Muskethead

Bigcountry: Thanks for your input.Where did you find the proper hinge pins? I am originally from Carroll County, Maryland, but I have been in Florida for 20 years. I heard the deer hunting has gotten better and the pheasant hunting has disappeared sinceI left. Thanksagain and good hunting. /s/Muskethead.
Funny you said something about pheasants. My wife and I saw one the other day and I couldn't believe it. I get mine from this guy. I bought a real big one and had the reciever milled to match. Very tight lockup.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=7

Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel for my Encore and it is a very good shooter. With open sights at 100 yards I was getting under 1" 3 shot groups, I have been tossing around the idea of mounting a scope on it this summer and doing some shooting to see just how good it will shoot.

I also bought a Pro Hunter barrel a while back now in 7mm-08, and my first ever group I shot at 100 yards with it (handloads) measured .243" for a 3 shot group. I haven't shot any groups since that day, but there are quite a few jackrabbits that were out past 300 yards that didn't like the gun.....

I haven't had the need for an oversized hinge pin in my gun, its very tight from the factory. I am going to have an action job done on it to improve on my trigger a wee bit.

Quick Reply: Thompson Encore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.