Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Encore

Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson Encore

I love mine,I own 2 frames,one for pistol and the other for rifle. Can't go wrong IMOP...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Encore with.50 Muzzleloader, .280 Rem, .243 Win barrels. I just bought the .243 Win barrel so I don't know how that shoots yet. The .50 Muzzleloader and the .280 Rem shoot well enough for hunting. All are factory barrels from Thompson. I have not had any problems with the barrel pin yet. I would also agree a trigger job is a must. I just sent mine to Bellm so I am happy to hear a thumbs up by HEAD0001.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Spike

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. I also have some great tips to achieve even further accuracy if the barrels seem loose and need hinge pins, or if the trigger sticks a little, I now now where to to. Thanks a lot to everyone! /s/s Muskethead
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 AM
bigcountry

One good thing about encores, is when your buying one, its easy to check some of these situations out. Ask the saleman to take it apart for you. The hinge pin should not be able to just push out with your finger, a slight tap with with a drift punch is what it should take to remove and install. If they can push out with finger or my case I would shake it out, too loose. While its apart, take the pin and install it in the barrel hole with out the reciever. That too should be tight. Some come out good and some come out bad.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Spike

bigcountry: Thanks a million for the tips. I intend to head over to Bass Pro in Ft. Lauderdale and see if they have any TE's in stock. I will definitely use the trick you mentioned to make sure the hinge pins are tight. One question based on this reply. If you have the reeceiver milled for oversize after market hinge pins, do you then need to have each new barrel milled to fit? It would appear that it would be required. If so, I guess I had figure that into any cost for a new barrel. Thanks again. By the way, Wherepart of Maryland are you from?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday it rained so I loaded up 45 Nosler BTs for my Encore, and 5 Barnes TSXs to try out.

Today I got a chance to do some test firing. I had about a 10mph crosswind. At 100 yards I put my first 2 bullets (140gr BTs) in almost the same hole, then I pulled my third shot. I don't know if this was because I was not wanting to screw up a great group or the trigger is just that rough.

Then I decided to shoot the TSXs after a good barrel cooling down. First 2 shots were about a hole and a half, third shot I pulled again. I was getting very frustrated at this point, not sure what my deal was.

I grabbed my Tikka out of my pickup and threw 3 rounds of 60gr Sierra HPs in, and shot a very fast 3 shot group under 1". Going from about a 5-6lb trigger down to a 2lb trigger made all the difference.

I was feeling pretty confident in my shooting at this point again, and decided to give the Thompson one more try. Same results, 2 in almost same hole and pulled third. My Encore is getting taken to the smith for a trigger job. Then it will bea Sub .5moa gun, if I can do my part.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Just so you know, Using an over sized pin Voids the rifles warranty.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Muskethead

If you have the reeceiver milled for oversize after market hinge pins, do you then need to have each new barrel milled to fit? It would appear that it would be required.
Yep, thats the down side. I really don't plan on buying any more barrels however. I got a 204 and muzzleloader barrel. If I find one for a good deal I might.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM

I don't know if I would "plan" on any gunsmithing until I actually get to shooting the gun. To date, my Encore had stronger hammer springs installed and trigger pull lightened to 2.5lbs by Bellm. If you muzzleload, and are interested in 150grain 3-pellet loads for longer range shots, this is the gun for you.