Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

I don't know what to say.....I'm stuck. I simply CAN NOT seem to decide between 2 rifles and 3 calibers. Both rifles are GREAT and all 3 calibers are GREAT.
I would really value some opinions from you guys. You've been really helpfull so far to me as a new member to the forum.

The 2 rifles.....Left Handed Reminton CDL -or- Left Handed Browning Stainless Stalker.
I know these are total opposites (wood/blue steel vs. synthetic/stainless)
I like both of them SO MUCH.I would eventually want to weatherproof the CDL more (maybe a teflon finish on the metal and a McMillian syn. stock)

The 3 calibers....nothing out of the ordinary here...270, .30-06, or 7mm Rem. Mag.
All 3 capable (and then some) for my hunting needs.
All 3 shoot plenty flat for what I need and pack plenty of punch.

Please folks, don't pound me for not being able to make up my mind. Surely some of you have been in the same boat at some point. I have bought and sold and bought and sold so many rifles and calibersover the years I really want to buy one and hang on to it. Something my son can use when he gets a little older.

Just looking for some opinions that might help me make up my mind.

If you have shot both of these rifles, does either one of them seem to have more/lessperceived recoil? I know the Remington will have more options for "customizing", but the Browning is pretty much already there.

I'm seriously leaning toward the A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem. Mag. But I've never had the chance to shoot the CDL.

I really don't want to get down to flipping a coin. If it helps any, I'll primarily be hunting whitetails and hogs. The hogs here get bigger than average. A 400-500 pounder is not uncommon.

Anyway, I've finally grown up enough to want a rifle I'll hang onto for good, and I would really appreciate ANY pros or cons you could give me on the rifles or calibers I listed.

Schoolcraft
Old 05-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Default RE: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

I'd get the 06 in a stainless composite or laminate . Both actions are good ,,, but i'd get a savage action .
Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

So why the 06'?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

What other rifles/calibers do you already own?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your main hunting is going to be deer from 50-400 yards then by all means get the 270. I have had probably 100 rifles at least. 99 percent of all my hunting could have been done with the 270. Ammo is plentiful, Recoil is very acceptable. My choice would be the Remington LH 270. Hands down, period.. My dead last choice is the 7MM Mag. IMO it is the hardest kicking rifle for what it delivers on the planet. Now opinions very but thats mine. I have had the BDL REM in 270, 30-06 and 7 Mag.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

... But I've never had the chance to shoot the CDL.
In that case, I'd highlyrecommend shooting a CDL first. The R3 recoil pad really is as good as advertised. My buddy & I shot my CDL vs. his BDL, both in .30-'06, and there was a huge difference in felt recoil.

I really don't want to get down to flipping a coin.
Hey, that's not the end of the world if you do! Making a decision this way can be great, if it helps you get over the endless comparisons, and just move on with your life.

If it helps any, I'll primarily be hunting whitetails and hogs. The hogs here get bigger than average. A 400-500 pounder is not uncommon.

Anyway, I've finally grown up enough to want a rifle I'll hang onto for good, and I would really appreciate ANY pros or cons you could give me on the rifles or calibers I listed.

Schoolcraft
Again, any of the cartridges you've chosen will get the job done handily, and you'll never have problems finding ammo. I'd be with JamesB, however, in shying away from the 7mm Rem Mag., on account of the muzzle blast & recoil. If that doesn't bother you, however, go forth boldly & enjoy your rifle: I'll never say the 7mm Mag won't git 'er done!

Also, either of those rifles can be passed-on to your great grandchildren, if you'll do even a little cleaning & maintenance. The best part of a rifle, IMHO, are the stories you can tell your kids about them: the hunts, the stalks, the shots... As for choosing, I'll stick with my stand-by answer and tell you to shoulder each with your eyes closed, & see which one settles into your shoulder the best.

Good Luck,

FC
Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a Rem 700 and an A-bolt, neither in the rounds you mentioned. Both are excellent and both will suit you well. Go to your local gun shop and put both to your shoulder, close your eyes, make your decision based on which feels "right" to you.

I personally believe all three rounds you chose are more than capable of taking the deer and hogs you seek. The 7 mag will be better for longer shots but the '06 and .270 are more than capable of reaching animals to 300 yards+. The 7 mag is more expensive to shoot than the other two. Personally I would choose the '06 because it allows you to step up to bigger bullets in case you ever decide to seek larger game.

In any case, both rifles and all 3 cartridges are excellent, you can't go wrong.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a huge fan of stainless guns, so the stainless Stalker would definitely get the nod. To me the only choice would be between 270 and 30-06, and that would be a coin toss. I have more experience with 270, but either is capable of almost any thing that might ever needs killing. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since the 7mmremmag offers an even flatter trajectory than the 270win,and more power than the 30-06,it would be my choice.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Folks, you have no idea how helpfull all your comments have been.

Keep em' coming!

Thanks,
Schoolcraft

Quick Reply: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.