Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

You couldn't be more wrong. I base my opinion on experience. I fired 10 rounds of 140 grain Winchester Accubonds and couldn't fire anymore because the kick was so bad. I next opened up a box of Federal cheapo Classic 150 grain soft points (ON THE SAME DAY AND AT THE SAME SITTING) and almost felt no recoil at all.
What ever you say.

The laws of physics don't change just because the feeling in your shoulder does. If the 140 and 150 grain bullets did, in fact, have the same muzzle velocity like you say (they don't BTW)then the 150 grain bullet had more recoil. You can sit there and argue it all you want but you would be wrong.

Personally I would get the Remington over the Browning. All the horror stories you hear about warping wood stock are largley unfounded and simply passed along. I have one synthetic stocked rifle and the rest are wood and never have any of them changed POI through different climate changes. If you were to be hunting places like Alaska down the Pacific coast to Washington and Oregon then the synthetic stock may be of some actual benefit.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really like synthetic stocks. I like them much better than wood stocks. However you will have very little if any trouble with a good wood stock if you keep it well sealed from the weather. This means inside and out with care to keep the barrel channel sealed. My problem with wood is simply that I hate to scratch them up and get dings in them which is bound to happen in the field. The up side is that when they get worked over good, you get the fun of refinishing it the way you like it.

In my experience you can't really go wrong with the 700 Remington or the Browning A-Bolt. I have both. Both have synthetic stocks.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice. You will never regret the 7mm mag. Use an impact harness at the range. It will help. I never felt the kick of any gun when harvesting a deer.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm Rem Mag is a good choice. Highest velocity, but ammo is expensive, since it's a magnum cartridge.

30-06, however, is the cheapest, and most selection,in ammo.

.270, is a good gun, with less recoil than the two above.

Altogether, if it were me, I would make the contest between the 30-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag.
30-06 has more bullet mass, and is the all-American classic.
7mm Rem Mag, is a fast, long range bullet.

You'll be fine with either one. My dad has a 7mm Rem Mag, and it's a dandy shooter.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

Having said that, I think I've decided on the 7mm. Rem. Mag.

Overall, I like the Remington better.

Schoolcraft
Ta DA! You've done it!

The Sims recoil pad on it....not sure about it. Looks and feels like it would really help soak up some punch, but almost felt too soft. I could take it with my hand and move it from side to side a lot. Kinda' looked like it could get ripped off the stock.
It probably could get ripped off the stock, if you were really determined about it. Using pliers, a screwdriver, or a crow bar on it would work, as would using the rifle as a pry barto loosen aboulder from the hillside. In my experience, though, any treatment short of that won't probably bother that pad. It's made to be squishy, and it does its job uncommonly well.

Is there a way to make that wood stock as stable as a synthetic?
See the posts by M77man and James B. FWIW,the latest issue ofone of the gun rags went over how to "degloss"the finish on aRemington wood stock, & they made mention of the fact that it comes from the factory with a fairlydurable finish. I guess it comes down to whether or not you're a wood stock kind-of-guy, and there's a tedious thread about that very subject on this very site.

To me, a wood stock gives a rifle its "soul": the dings and scratches are thecharacter of the rifle that has been built through the "life lessons" it's had along the way. When I look at the stock of an 80 year oldrifle, it makes me curious about thekind of life it's had. What's the biggest trophy it's ever taken?Was it ever chosen to goon someone's hunt-of-a-lifetime? Was ittreated like a trusted friend,ordid they see it as just another tool? Did it make a young boy's eyes light up whenhe got it as a Chrismas gift? Does its current owner think oftheir great-grandfatherevery time he (or she)holds it?

WhenI look at a synthetic-stocked rifle, I just see a utensil. A means to an end. I know thata synthetic rifle is no less deadly, or accurate, or effective, or dependable. It just seems less... well... live.

That's ME. You've gotta please YOU. Whatever you choose, though, WE WANT PICTURES!

And, NO, you're NOT allowed to have a 5 page thread on what kind of scope & mounts to get!

If nothing else, you're keeping us entertained!

FC
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the .270wsm.It is a great round with some awesome killing power.I know the browning comes in that cartridge,I have a A-Bolt and shoots really well.It is right up there with either of these two rounds.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

Folks, I really appreciate all your feedback. I'm leaning towards the Stainless Stalker in 7mm. Rem. Mag.
Unless you're hunting Really Big animals and much longer ranges than you really have any business shooting, get a .270 or 30-06... and that works for the vast majority of hunters (me included).

'magnums' are vastly overrated.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Another vote for the .270 wsm,can't go wrong here.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer wood stocks as well...My deer rifle is a 1980 model Ruger M-77...Every few years I remove the action from the stock and give the trigger group a good cleaning and put a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock and I'm good to go...I have been caught in the pouring rain with this gun and have never had my groups move because of stock warpage....I did free float the barrel a few years ago (maybe 20) but I never had any problems with groups moving even before I did this...

Now my brother...All his bolts have synthetic stocks, but he's hard on a gun...Sometimes I think he drives fence posts with his the way they look, so it just depends...If you are the type that cleans your gun and oils it up after every use, go with wood and blued steel....If you are the type guy that seldom changes the oil and filter in your pickup....Go with the synthetic and stainless...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

What ever you say.

The laws of physics don't change just because the feeling in your shoulder does. If the 140 and 150 grain bullets did, in fact, have the same muzzle velocity like you say (they don't BTW)then the 150 grain bullet had more recoil. You can sit there and argue it all you want but you would be wrong.

Personally I would get the Remington over the Browning. All the horror stories you hear about warping wood stock are largley unfounded and simply passed along. I have one synthetic stocked rifle and the rest are wood and never have any of them changed POI through different climate changes. If you were to be hunting places like Alaska down the Pacific coast to Washington and Oregon then the synthetic stock may be of some actual benefit.

you are very right, laws of physics dont change. BUT...lengths of bullets do. The ballistic tips and accubonds are longer bullets than the soft points or even the spire points. The over all length of therounds (bullet and cartridge combined)are the same, but the bullet lengths are different with the accubonds and the ballistic tips seating farther into the neckwith a few others seating well past the neck and into the body. Because of thir "seating" depth, the accubonds and ballistic tips take up some of the volume used for combustion which increases the pressures within the cartridge which in turn directly affects recoil. So yes, differrent bullets of the same powder loads offer vastly different amounts of recoil depending onbullet length length and seating depth.

There is a wonderful article on this in Shooting Times Magazine that was conducted with a 30.06 and bullets of different length with the same overallround length and powder load.

I will try to post some of the information here for everybody

Quick Reply: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.