Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Does Browning make the Stainless Stalker in a left handed model in .270 WSM? I haven't seen it listed anywhere except in their right handed models.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

Does Browning make the Stainless Stalker in a left handed model in .270 WSM? I haven't seen it listed anywhere except in their right handed models.
Not in the stainless stalker. It is offered in the Micro hunter, Medalion, & hunter model A-Bolts. Why they don't offer it in the stainless version is a mystery to me. Lefties get a raw deal. My boy is a lefty and finding a rifle for him sucks.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you currently have no rifles, and this will be the one and only, at least for a while, I'd recommend the 30/06.
You'll be able to find ammo anywhere ammo is sold..you'll have a greater variety to pick form wherever ammo is sold, it'll be cheaper than all other ammo you've mentioned (maybe the same as ther 270) ..... and you could pick up brass at any range ...
Then you can move up and down the power range for the purchase of any other rifles.
Just my opinion....
And I think you'll find more left handed offerings in the 30/06, but I might be wrong on that.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

You just can't go wrong with a 270, 7mag or 3006 in a quality gun. I would recommend buying a new one unless you have spotted a good buy in a used one. In my area, you can buy new ones almost as cheap as used ones.

I prefer to reload 270 and 3006 over a 7mag. And for the weight, I don't like a 7mag. If you carry something that heavy you might as well be carrying a 300mag. My Ruger 300mag SS is lighter than my M700 7mag.

If you are wanting a one-gun do it all, I would prefer the 3006. If not then go for a 270, then latter, to go bigger, go to a 338 or 325.

But in the end, it is what you have confidence in.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 7mm, and I have owned and still own a 30-06. I have never owned a 270, but I have shot plenty and seen them in action quite a bit.

My vote would be for the 7mag in the Browning, very accurate rifle and I feel less recoil with my 7mag than my '06s. I'd reccomend a good 140gr bullet out of the 7mm, I haven't had any luck with 150gr bullets in mine (I do all my own handloading).
Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 PM

My my choices choices, me personnally i'd have to go with the 30-06. There is just so many choices of ammo in that Cal. Great for the big game or the smaller game. Plus better range than the 270. 7mm yeah its going to kick but don't they all kick. lol It's up to you dude. Pick the one that feels right for you.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

lol I can't help you much dude last time I went to the store to buy an A-bolt in .270 and came out with a M77MkII in 30-06. BUT I can tell you that from what your listing of your final choices you will be very happy either way you go.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Well, start off with the Browning A-bolt in stainless synthetic and then down the road get the CDL or whatever rifle it is in wood finish.

7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 are two very good all-around calibers, I have both - One Ruger and one Remmy. The .270 WSM intrigues me a bit but I'm going to wait a while and see if the short mags are going to stick around.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 270 and 300 WSM's are here to stay. Can't say about the 7MM WSM they don't sell here.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Folks, I really appreciate all your feedback. I'm leaning towards the Stainless Stalker in 7mm. Rem. Mag.

I talked to a guy at a local gun shop today who's opinion I respect since he's got A LOT of years of hunting and reloading underneath his belt. I told him that I was leaning towards the 7mm Rem. Mag. He suggested that for the best all-around caliber, I might want to REALLY consider the .300 Win. Mag. His point was that it's got enough "oumph" to tackle anything on the continent and can also be loaded down to .30-06 velocities for deer or just more pleasurable shooting.

He said (and this is what I need opinions on) that in the SAME gun shooting a 7 Rem. Mag and a .300 Win. Mag side by side that I would see virtually ZERO difference in recoil.............not sure about that.

I was under the assumption that the .300 Winny would "tap" you considerably harder than the 7.

Was he right or wrong?

Quick Reply: I'm pitifull...still can't decide on gun/caliber...HELP!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.