Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Good for you on having fun with your new gun, but if I were you, I would take "The Rifleman's" advice, 'cause if you're going to hunt in deer season, you want to have the confidence, that your gun can do the job accurately, so I would get some Caldwell shooting bags, not the sled, but the bags, there's one for the stock, and one for the grip, all for about $25.00 at Gander Mtn.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

i agree, nice shooting. Most people can't shot that well without sands bags. Most think they can but can't. you didn't waste anything. it was good practice and those groups are fine. Glad you had fun.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I found a really cool sight-in target off the internet. I'm going to use this with a bench rest out to 100 yards and see how good I can shoot.

http://www.uspalma.com/Targets/PDFs/Medium%20Distance%20Scope%20Target.pdf

Butch A.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:43 AM

Y'all forgot,
I never miss!

Gun's are made for killing, they aren't good for nothing else.

If you get some sick perverse pleasure from shooting a '06 at 25 yards - then you must not be much of a shot.

I believe that the longest known documented shot with a '06 was over2000 yards, which is more than a mile.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Y'all forgot,
I never miss!

If you get some sick perverse pleasure from shooting a '06 at 25 yards - then you must not be much of a shot.

I believe that the longest known documented shot with a '06 was over2000 yards, which is more than a mile.
Sir, you seem to be very opinionated for a guy who just got here. As YOU can see, Butch has been around for a while and has always offered helpfull advice to everyone w/o passing judgement. If YOU have any more advice for the good folks here, how about improving your delivery a bit? For now, have yourself a BIG SLICE OF HUMBLE PIE & i'm sure we'll see each other around in the future.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Well us mere mortals will have to stick with the less than a mile shots for now. And if you check your stats you'd find that most GA and AL deer kills are within 45 yards. So if going by your logic if I use a bow and want to practice 20 to 15 yard shots it's a waste of time. But practicing a 200 yard lob shot is exceptional. I would rutenly practice 100 yard rifle shots but I should be trying 2000 yard lob shots into where? at what? Just trying to get this figured out so I can be more of a MAN. Now when I go turkey hunting should I leave my 12 ga at home and throw a rock at the bird instead? At 75 yards min of course. Give ole gobble gobble a sportin' chance.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Y'all forgot,
I never miss!

While I do agree Butch needs to accurately sight in his rifle, I must say I am one of those sick perverse people who enjoy shooting a gun at 25 yards, with an '06, at shotgun shells, provided that the '06 has a Limb-Saver recoil pad on.

I don't think guns are just for killing, I think a .22 LR suits me better for shooting at spent shotgun shells at 15-20 yards, and shooting the box that held a brick of .22 LRammo.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 PM

I know a lot of bench rest, skeet and trap shooters that would really dissagree with that statement. I know many people that are very into the shooting sports that do not hunt, I used to be one of them. Same goes for archery.

Sounds like you had some fun Butch, and that is what's important. I sometimes shoot off a rolled up blanket if I don't have anything else. A feed bag full or corn or something works pretty well too.

I went and got me one of those plastic Bench Buddy rests for not much money and it works pretty well for what it is. I would like to have a better rest, but I really can't afford it and this thing works for what I need it to do. I can manage sub MOA groups with my 17 HMR using it, so it must be ok.

Let us know what happens on your next outing.

Oh, and when I actually sight in a gun I don't aim at a round bullseye. I aim at a square or crossed lines on a plain target. One verticle and one horizontal. Aim at the line that runs from left to right to set your elevation. Only worry about where the bullet impacts high or low, not left or right. Then aim at the line that runs up and down to set your windage. Again, no concern for where the bullet strikes up and down, only concentrate on left to right keeping the cross hair on the verticle line.

And only make one adjustment at a time! Don't take a couple of shots and then move the scope 10 clicks to the right and 7 clicks up. Work on one axis at a time. Set your windage first, then work on your elevation. You can also set your windage at 50 yards if you want, then re check it or fine tune it at 100 yards or whatever distance you decide to sight in for Zero on your elevation. Remember the farther out you get the more wind will effect your windage. So don't adjust your windage on a windy day at 150 yards.

It may take more time and more ammo, but it's a more precise method because you are only concentrating on one axis at a time and it's easier to hold steady that way. Once you try it you will see what I mean.

Paul
Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Paul...

Yeah, I plan on going back to the range and go out 100 yards with a bench rest.

Butch A.

Quick Reply: First time out with my Savage .308 rifle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.