Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting Slugs

Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting Slugs

What would be best if i wanted to shoot slugs from my Remington 11-87 shotgun. I do not want a new barrel but I could get an open bore choke and shoot those rifled slugs through it or get a rifled choke and shoot regular slugs through it. What do you think would be better? How far could I accurately shoot? 50yds? I was thinking the rifled choke would be a good idea.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Default RE: Shooting Slugs

I personally wouldn't waste the money on a rifled choke, unless you have it to waste. I have heard pretty mixed reviews about them working well. I might try one if I could get one at my local walmart for 15 bucks or something, but I woudln't go out of my way to order one or pay twice that.

Just get some different brand and sizes of rifled slugs and shoot them through your gun to see what it likes. Try some remington sluggers and federal truballs. I have pretty good luck with winchester ammo myself.

Like any other gun you need to play around and see what it likes.

As far as how accurate will it be, that all depends on your gun and what ammo it likes, and how much you are willing to play to find the right load.
Also try different chokes, some of my guns like a modified choke instead of an I/C choke. Don't use a full choke though, that pretty much never works.

Another thing that will help is some sort of sights, I have pretty good luck with the clamp on fiber optic sights they sell. You will have trouble getting decent accuracy at longer ranges with a simple bead sight unless you have very good shooting form.

I have seen guns that would not shoot well past 50 yards and others that were quite acceptable at 100 yards. My mossberg 500 would get about 6 inch groups at 60 yards or so. My Browning A-5 stalker will shoot around 4 inches at 100 yards off the bench with 3 dollar winchester slugs. That's better than some rifled barrels shoot for some people.

My buddy has a Franchi 20 ga that he can shoot pretty well out to 90 yards with twin beads.

Really depends on you and the gun.

Paul
Old 05-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot modified and IC chokes with a single slug? I never knew that.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree with everything that Paul has said. Yes you can shoot slugs through a I/C and Mod choke. You are saposed to shoot most of them through an I/C choke anyways. Your not saposed to shoot them through a Mod choke but on the newer guns made for steel loads it dosnt hurt them at all if your using a lead slug. You just need to get a bunch of different ammo and try them.Dont over look shooting 2 3/4 and 3in of the same slugs, they can shoot very different in the same gun. I wouldnt push your shots much past 50 or 60 yards if your dont get out and practice much with them.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot the old style, foster-type, "rifled" slugs through any choke. Try the Brennecke slugs. They are the standard for accuracy through most smoothbore guns. In my BPS, with an IC choke in, I can get 4" groups at 100 yd. with them. Definately try the 2 3/4" versions. They kick less and quite often are more accurate than 3".
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

You can shoot the old style, foster-type, "rifled" slugs through any choke. Try the Brennecke slugs. They are the standard for accuracy through most smoothbore guns. In my BPS, with an IC choke in, I can get 4" groups at 100 yd. with them. Definately try the 2 3/4" versions. They kick less and quite often are more accurate than 3".
x2 on the brennekes.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:15 AM

I dont know about Brenneke's through a smooth bore gun but they are no good in a rifled gun. We got some sabot slugs for rifled barrels and they dont shoot good at all. I think it was 12in groups out of one of the guns and 9in groups out of the other at 50 yards.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 AM

I have a buddy that has used brenneks in his 870 through the smoothbore bird barrel and he gets very good accuracy out past even 75 yards. They seem to work very well for him, as he always takes at least 1-2 whitetails a year with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM

I guess the ones for smooth bore shotguns are good slug but i will NEVER buy them for a rifled slug barrel again.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Sharp,

Paul is right on with his assessment. I'd grab an Improved cylinder choke and have at it. I've had good luck with the winchester super-x slugs in 3 different model guns (Remington, Ithaca, Winchester).The 2 3/4 inch shells have plenty of power behind them, so I wouldn't mess with the 3" slugs.As Paul alluded to, I have an 1100 20 gauge that will clover leaf remington sluggers at 50 yds through a skeet choked barrel. The problem is that it shoots 4 inches low and 3 inches to the right. The solution was a set of $50 clamp on adjustable fiber optic sights (Half the price of a used 1187 slug barrel). Iron sights only get you out to about 75 yds for accurate shooting. I have 2 scoped 12 guages and they produce excellent groups at 100 yds. So accuracy can be obtained for that far out but it costs $. Long story short, don't be afraid to try what you have, but if it ain't working look for a used slug barrel and save the headache.

Kj

Quick Reply: Shooting Slugs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.