Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

HELP Browning Buckmark

Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default HELP Browning Buckmark

I got a new Buckmark and I can.t open the slide. Whats the trick. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Default RE: HELP Browning Buckmark

Make sure the safety is off. The top part that the rear sight is on does not move. The slide is about 1/2 inch tall, so just pull rearward on the slide only.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I quess if the hammer is droopped then the spring is really stiff. We finally pulled it open but it took some force. As long as its not dry fired then the slide works. I will shoot it tomorrow and see if all goes well. Thanks for the reply. To start with my wife was pulling on the sight.. She picked this one out for mothers day.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

DO NOT DRY FIRE ANY RIMFIRE !!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: James B

I quess if the hammer is droopped then the spring is really stiff. We finally pulled it open but it took some force. As long as its not dry fired then the slide works. I will shoot it tomorrow and see if all goes well. Thanks for the reply. To start with my wife was pulling on the sight.. She picked this one out for mothers day.
JamesB,your spouseoughta be well pleased with the Buckmark. My Camper has been the best $250 I've spent. And my 80 lb. girlfriend has been known to shoot 50-cent-sized groups at 21 feel with it!

The slide is tough sometimes: I'd recommend trying it without the magazine (or maybe WITH the magazine...).

If yours has the plastic sight base, please do be gentle with the rear screw on it. Any cursory internet search will reveal the problems there. I'm working with the Browning parts folks onthat issue, & they're extremely pleasant folks. Still, I'm not altogether thrilled with their remedy for the problem.

However, that guns shoots so well, and is so much FUN, that I consider it a small inconvenience, indeed!

Good luck,

FC
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM

I posted the other day about the buckmark, but I'll ask you guys since you own one. Did you compare the Ruger pistols to the Buckmark? I almost bought a camper the other day but then I saw the 22/45 and decided to hold off. Any big pros or cons that you know of?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, they're riduculously LOUD!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ours is the Camper and I looked at Rugers for quite a while first. I love the Ruger and have Had several of them. However my son likes his Buckmark so well that we decided to try one. The wife loves to shoot but she does not like recoil. She will shoot rifles up to the 35 Whelen but she doesn't like it and prefers to stick to her 250 Savage. She likes the 9mm and 38 special and has shot bowling pins with the 45 LC but she doesn't like the 45 auto.

You can't go wrong with the Rurer and as most Ruger guns, they are built to last.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 308BLR

I posted the other day about the buckmark, but I'll ask you guys since you own one. Did you compare the Ruger pistols to the Buckmark? I almost bought a camper the other day but then I saw the 22/45 and decided to hold off. Any big pros or cons that you know of?
I did compare the Ruger & Buckmark. The latter felt much better in my hands when it came togrip angle, grip texture, and trigger. When I asked the clerk to show me how to take-down each gun, I thought the Buckmark was definitely the way to go. For me, anyway.

I haven't yet held any Ruger, handgun or long rifle, which felt "better" to me than any other gun I was considering. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one if it DID feel better. A company doesn't earn a reputation like theirs without doing things right, or without treating their customers well.

FC