Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag Scope Mount

Just my personal opinion, but I don't like Warne rings at all. I think there are better options, like Talley for example.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

Just my personal opinion, but I don't like Warne rings at all. I think there are better options, like Talley for example.
I have been using the warnes on my 460smith for a while now. Don't seem too bad, but need to do alot of lapping for proper fit. And its hard to do, since they come apart to install on and off.

But I agree talley is the ring of choice. Still haven't got to try the con trol rings you recommended. My scope is slipping in my STW with the sako inserts.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
bigcountry

I just went and took a look at this boys webpage. Holy cow, am I humbled at those deer.

All the sudden, I feel like elliot sadler in that nextel commercial talking to Jimmy Johnson when he brings out the trophy.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of Sako inserts, I've never really had a problem with the inserts, but I'm fed up with the screws they use in those rings and will probably never use another set of Optilocks.The ring screws are just too soft. I recently removed a scope from a set of Optilocks and had to drill the heads off of 4 out of 8 ring screws because the heads stripped out.And I was usingthecorrect sizebit, 2.5mm.

Here's what I'll be using from now on I think on Sakos. These are Talleys:

Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 PM

I have never had any problems with Leupold bases on some real heavy recoil weapons. Not saying that your wrong, becasue anything is posible. If I had a problem such as yours I would probably just buy some Leupold dual Dovetail rings and mounts. I don't have any experience with Warne mounts to be honest. I've used Burris signature with good results, I've used Talley, and Jewell as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the Leupold bases and rings are adequate, but I also believe the Warne Picatinney style base and ring system is stronger. I have had more than one gunsmith tell me thatthe Weaver system was the strongest out there-and IMO the Warne Picatinney style is an advanced Weaver system???

Any time you use the Leupold system you do have to lap the rings. I believe the main reason for the lapping is the need for proper alignment of the rings. I only lap the bottom ring(I do take a few strokes with the tops on), and cut as little as possible-my main concern is alignment. You would be amazed how movement of the scope can be limited by lapping of the rings. I do not shoot for 100% contact. I think that 100% contact removes far too much steel.

I have seen people lap off so much steel that they took the scope out of bore alignment. And remember that is pretty important!!

I like the Warne because of the simplicity. They align themselves-if done properly. Very little lapping needed. Tom.