Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too bad they had no pocket guns.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too bad they had no pocket guns.

ORIGINAL: shepdogwv

all I can say is that I was sittin in class today and thinkin about what would happen if someone came in the back door and started shooting (verdict, we'd all be in serious trouble) and realized how mad I would be if I had a CCW permit (haven't had time to take the class yet) and instead of putting two in the guys chest and saving some lives, I was made to keep my gun at home and sit there and possibly not make it out or watch my friends die in front of me.
It would suck. After reading some the stories of the survivors it is hard to imagine the feeling of defenselessness they must have had.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM

This is why I made the decision that I made when I was 21. I already had a Glock 23, but it wasn't easily enough concealed. I bought a Kel-Tec P32 that I ALWAYS carried, class included. Nobody ever knew I had it, and they never would unless I had to use it. Sure I would have been in a world of trouble had I ever actually had to use it. But that would have been beter than the alternate, which would be watching helplessly while my friends and possibly myself were killed.

And no, I did not start carrying as soon as I got my CCW. I actually got my CCW when I was 19, but only kept a gun in my truck in case I had trouble on the interstate, so that I would not be stranded and defenseless. I knew at that time that I was not mature enough to have a gun on me at all times.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of the most irresponsible young adults are in our colleges,universitys, etc...They do things they would never have done back home or in High School.Send them away to school and they go Nuts.They often admit many years later the insanity they indulged in during there college years.That's Ok up to a point - but don't put a gun in there hand in a school atmosphere.That's Nuts
I'm going to stick to that mentality.I'm not trying to stereotype anybody here.We have at least 5-6 college campuses within 30-60 minutes.
Talk to local residents,business owners,who work or reside around these advanced learning institutions.Talk to the kids themselves and listen to the stories that never get outside the campus.

As I stated previously these are the same kids that would never step over the line at home or in there high school years.

The statistics prove my point around here and I don't believe for one second its any different anywhere else.I wouldn't send my daughter to any school where kids could "carry".

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that I believe that someof the posters here who are against students carry personal protection have never graduated with a degree themselves and there is a hint of personal envy towards those who have had the opportunity to pursue an advanced education, and this might be tainting some judgements.
I've got the degree and advanced education along with 3 brothers,father and his 3 brothers and countless cousins etc...with "Advanced Education Degree's" up to PHD,Doctorate (not me).I have no idea what a degree or advanced education,age or seniority has to do with carrying a weapon in a school atmosphere - an Institution for Learning.

Law Enforcement all have weeks,months,years of training in the use of lethal force situations.To think of 21-22-23yr old college kid with a carry permit is spooky.

The idea was put forth on selected Profs and maybe ROTC with carry permits.Another thought is armed security or metal detectors but not kids not matter what age armed on school grounds.That would be a cowboy atmosphere a recipe for disaster,injury/death from accidental discharge,
show off,endless litigation,increase in school liability insurance,reduced enrollment,probable increase in tuition and an obvious distraction from Learning.

There has to be another way for our kids to be safe vs putting weapons in there hands in school.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

To think of 21-22-23yr old college kid with a carry permit is spooky.
I still stand by the notion that a 21+ year old college student is more likely to have his act together than a 21 yo non-college student.We could go round and round with our arguments all day- what age do you propose is acceptable for a person to get a CCW? 21? 30? 55? Or are police, college profs, and ROTC students the only people good enough to carry a weapon to defend themselves?

To think of 21-22-23yr old college kid with a carry permit is spooky.
Likewise, this is a hunting board. Do you feel that a 21 year old is old enough to carry a hunting rifle in the field or is it just certain 21 year olds that you have issues with? Think real hard before you answer- there will be potential that the same 21 year old who is out hunting will come in contact with other also carrying high powered long range weapons- cowboy attitudes and all that like you stated above.

"An armed society is a polite society"- Robert Heinlein

Maybe if there were the remote chance that said frat gang member (I was a member of a fraternity- some are good others are bad, a few are just legitimized gangs) or meat head football bully were to get shot if they mugged a student for their wallets or the pizza they happened to be carrying (I've seen both happen, the latter several times) they might actually think about the consequences of their actions- faculty advisors, wealthy benifactor parents, and sports coaches often can make little Johnny'stransgressions miraculouslydisappear, but they can't do the same for gunshot wounds.