Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

grounghog bits ?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: grounghog bits ?

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

A guy I knew told me he would shoot grounghogs and they would blow appart. Is this possible? If it is ; is it possible with a .223. What kind of round would do that to a grounghog? Maybe the V-max bullet could I guess. My .17 would blow a pop can full of water into bits. I used the V-max bullets in it. I am just guessing. It would be kinda neat to see or maybe it would be horrible to see. Do all V-max bullets fragment like the .17 HMR rounds do?
I have shot them with a 6mm/.284 with bullets intended for deer hunting. These are not quite as explosive as lighter, more frangible varmint bullets, yet they did a pretty good job of vaporizing the middle part of a groundhog. I am sure a 75 or 80 varmint bullet going 3700 FPS would do the job you're talking about. My old .270 with Sierra 110-grain bullets doesn't leave much of a jackrabbit or porcupine!