Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Setup for long range shooting ?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setup for long range shooting ?

This might have sounded like a useless post for some but I like doing things right the first time and as I mentioned before I have never practiced farther then 200 yards so, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Some members on this board have allot of experience and I figured there was no harm in asking. I will however still set up a 4’ x 4’ board for multiple targets. Thanks guys for ALL the info. Much appreciated...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just stick a thumb tack in a 2"x2" board.. At Our range they set posts in the ground and screw a 2'x8' piece of plywood so that we can put several targets up when we go down range.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:05 PM

As for targets out to and past 300 yards. You are gonna want to go bigger so you can see them clearly enough to pick out the bulls eye. For 100 yards, I like the targets that have grids on them that represent 1 inch per block so you can see how you have to adjust without guessing or walking to the target. aspotting scope is gonna help you at a range. It is a great tool. You dont need a huge one but a mid range one is great.Rifle scopes for long range are different. If you are planning on using the range for sighting hunting rifles, use 3x9-40 or up to a 6x18-50. Bigger objectives are great for low light and field of view. If you are going to be into bench shooting, fixed power scopes like a 24x55 is my favortie objective. It is great at long range. Birchwood Casey makes nice Shoot and See targets that show your hits in yellow, and Caldwell makes the new Orange Peel that shows orange when you hit it. Get what you like and are comfortbale with. You dont need to go expensive, but I have come to love Leupold for every optics I own. The light they give in low light situations is superior. You can take a Leupold against nearly any other scope and you will see what I mean. If you have money and want quality optics that will last forever, Swarovski or Ziess is the way to go, but they are very expensive. Leupold is mid range in price but you cant go wrong with Leupld, Nikon, or Burress. Good luck and straight shootin'!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

4' x 4' should be just fine
Old 04-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Fork Horn

At 300 and 400 yards I would use a post it note. JK