Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The war took all my ammo

Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default The war took all my ammo

This is the only negativething I will ever say publicly about the war. They are taking all the good .223 ammo. A small price to pay but I didn't really think about it until the gun salesman at Gandermountainpointed it out to me. He has a son in Iraq and we were talking about himfor a while.We passed the rifle ammo and Iasked if they they were ever going to have any .223 ammo or did I need to buy a 22-250 instead. He told me themilitary was taking all of the Blackhills andWolf ammo for the war. Now as you can see my statement is not really negative at all.That was just my little intro. to a fact that I had never thought of before.I can't think of a better group of people to take my ammo from me. There are other rounds affected as well. I'm not a very good gun guy so I couldn't tell you what they are. Whatever they are; the military needs them more than we do.

[/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The war took all my ammo

Good post! I will pay a little more to shoot my AR till the guys and girls over there are done! They have the need we just entertain ourselves with the 5.56 ammo.Alot of the .224 components are getting higher and harder to come by also,the market on brass and copper will have an affect on most calibers.I pickup what I can at a fair price and bite the bullet(no pun intended) and enjoy the freedoms they are overseas fighting for for us back home!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not so sure the war using ammo is the problem. theres something going on with metal prices PERIOD right now. ALL ammo prices have nearly doubled in some cases...even the latest cabelas catalog says to call for prices to make sure they didnt go up. i think they just slowed up on making ammoright now because of prices/shortages...before they had ALOT of surplus ammo laying around and saleing it CHEAP.

and im not sure the military will shoot civilian ammo...im sure they WILL...but probably only in desperation(but not posative...). i know the military has alot of their own ammo...not sure who makes it etc...i always thought they made their own..i dont know
Old 04-12-2007, 07:36 PM
bigcountry

War is not the issue. President clinton made sure surplus cannot be sold to the public anymore but destroyed. Check the price of copper next time. Our troops do not shoot wolf ammo.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Big, I am an electrician. Nobody knows copper has gone up more than me. My costs have tripled in the past 2 years. I was just going off of what I was told by the salesman at Gandermountain. He said Black Hills is one of the military's suppliers of .223 ammo. He then mentioned Wolf ammo. I'm not sure if he was still talkingabout .223 or another caliber. I guess we also supply the Iraq forces with ammo for their AK 47s as well. That is according to this guy ,who[like I said before] has a son in Iraq. I didn't realize this post was going to cause such a problem. I just thought it was a new bit of info that I could share with you all. On a side note, copper costs have raise the price of ammo. I don't think it would make it this hard to find. I can only find a few types of .223 and not much of them.

[/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

I didn't realize this post was going to cause such a problem.
I dont' see any problem. Post away. Have at it.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey standsleeper I am an electrician also.I know that scrape copper has went from $.65/lb to $3.00 /lb around here.The military takes bids on ammo and the lowest bid wins.That can be from several suppliers.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 AM

good post
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

"War is not the issue. President clinton made sure surplus cannot be sold to the public anymore but destroyed. Check the price of copper next time. Our troops do not shoot wolf ammo."

War isnot an issuewith US troops. Surplus ammunition was not being sold in any large quantities even before the Klinton Bunch came into office. Then that silly Klinton demil rule came into being. Talon pulls the stuff apart at their demil facility, the powder is burned and then it is re-loaded and sold.

i managed the destruction of all unserviceable Army ammunition from the Gulf War.Weburned 200 million rounds of .50 caliber ammunition and smaller, including about 100 million rounds of 5.56mm. Most of this small arms ammunition was in original pack. It could have easily been sold. Instead theUS paid a premium price for its destruction. Then they shipped the empty cans home to the US.

Our troops do not shoot Wolf ammo. But the demand for Russian made ammo is at an all time high due to wars and rumors of wars. Yes, copper, and brass prices are very high. Got two five gallon buckets of brass that are going to the re-cycler soon. Maybe it will buy me a few boxes of good ammo.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

"They are taking all the good."

As Sherman said "War is hell, boys. All hell!"

(At least they're not taking all the gasoline, tires, meat, and butter like they did when FDR was in charge.... Back then, you couldn't even get powder, primers and bullets for reloading!)

Quick Reply: The war took all my ammo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.