Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The war took all my ammo

Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The war took all my ammo

"(At least they're not taking all the gasoline, tires, meat, and butter like they did when FDR was in charge.... Back then, you couldn't even get powder, primers and bullets for reloading!)"

You got that exactly right. Just a friendly test of recollection-what color was margarine during WWII rationing?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Wolf ammo is being sold to the Iraq military. If you want to call it that. Big you were right about that. We don't use it but we will sell it to Iraq. Black Hills used the war as the reason you can't get very much .223 or .308 right now. 2 years ago we had no trouble getting it. Now the military is shooting half as much but we can't get any .223 from Black Hills. I think they depleted thier stock pile and are trying to catch up.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

margerine was white but you couldadd yellow coloring to it.

[/align]
Old 04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

"margerine was white but you couldadd yellow coloring to it."

Great!! Itusually had a little capsule of dye that came with it. Used to sit andmix it in a plastic bag for Mom.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM

First, if it were YOUR ammo, it would be at your house and so far I don't think anybody has had any of THEIR ammo taken to support the war.

Also, it is not just Black Hills and Wolf, but they are all pretty hard to get now. Although metal prices are definitely skyrocketing, I don't think that has anything to do with the shortage of 223 ammo. I think it has EVERYTHING to do with the war.

I just bought my first 223 last year. Will just keep shooting what I can get until things change.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Ofcourse it wasn't MY ammo. It was just a way to open the post. I plan to just shoot whatever I can get as well. I know it isn't just Black Hills and Wolf. Those were just the two we talked about. No one manufacturer could keep pace with the U.S. military. On the lighter side the government is selling Wolf ammo to Iraq. Turning a profit on th stuff we won't use.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: falcon

"(At least they're not taking all the gasoline, tires, meat, and butter like they did when FDR was in charge.... Back then, you couldn't even get powder, primers and bullets for reloading!)"

You got that exactly right. Just a friendly test of recollection-what color was margarine during WWII rationing?
It was white. Came in a plastic bag. looked like Crisco-tasted like Crisco-(was it Crisco?) There was a pill of yellow food coloring in the bag. You popped the pill before opening the bag, and kneaded the crapuntil the yellow was evenly mixed into the grease, then opened the bag and pretended the stuff was butter!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not aware of anyone other than arsenals making ammo, but then, I haven't worked at depot level for quite awhile. I have also noticed Black Hills ammo missing, although no problem with other brands. I imagine if you emailed them, Black Hills would own whether or not they are helping with the war effort.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 PM

We're in trouble if we're shooting wolf. Other than Lake City ammo, there are few manufactures who make mil-spec 5.56mm. Winchester does (or did) and so does IMI (Isreal military stuff).
Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

.223 ammo hasn't gone up in price any more than any other ammo. A box of 30-06 corelokts now costs $19-20 where it only cost $12-13 2 years ago. I decided not to buy any .308 or .264 bullets this year as the price is about 50% higher than it was this time last year. 9mm and .45ACP factory ammo has gone up in price by relatively the same percentage as well. Lead shot has gone up in price as well. Primers have gone up a bit, powder at least hasn't changed too dramatically (yet).

Oil prices have been up- lead and other metals are heavy and are expensive to ship, diving their prices up even more. Steel prices are at near all time highs, gold and silver are high in price as well.

This has nothing to do with the war,but it has everything to do with China's growing industrial base.

Quick Reply: The war took all my ammo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.