Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problems w/ sighting in...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Problems w/ sighting in...

IF you are on paper at whatever range you've chosen for the zero range, boresighting is of no use at all-all boresighting is good for is to GET ON PAPER to begin with so you don't waste ammo.

After you are on paper, if you cannot get your group to move to where you want it, there is something wrong with your adjustment procedure (or shooting ability!!). Either the adjustments in the scope aren't working correctly, the mounting job is letting the scope move, or YOU just can't shoot! It is as simple as that.................
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The answer is really simple one word. Tasco
Old 04-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

How to sight in a rifle:

1. Boresight it.i boresight mine in the house at 30 feet. A laser boresighter is great.
2. Shoot the gun at 25 yards from a good sandbag rest.
3. Leaving thegun on the rest without moving it, adjust the scope so the crosshairs are aligned on the first bullet hole.
3. Shoot a three shot group.
4. Adjust the crosshairs on the center of the group as in step 3, only if necessary.
5. Shoot at 100 yards and make any corrections.

Make sure that your scope mounts are tight and properly aligned.. Make sure the scope is secure on the mounts. If the scope gives you trouble, can it and buy a good one. If you have to tap the scope to get it to adjust, can it.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

"3. Leaving thegun on the rest without moving it, adjust the scope so the crosshairs are aligned on the first bullet hole."

The trouble I personally have with this "method" is, just HOW do you HOLD A RIFLE ABSOLUTELY STILL POINTED ATEXACTLY THE SAME SPOT it was
pointed at when it went "bang"?? Mine all have recoil, and that alone moves them when they fire. Then they are NO LONGER ponting where they were pointed when the shot wasfired.

So, what I do is, I aim at an aiming spot on the target paper, once I know the bullet is hitting the paper where I can see the hole. This may require me to start at 25 yards before moving to 100-usually if you are close to the point of aim at 25 yards, your bullet will hitON PAPER at 100. OnceI'm on paper at 100 yards,I fire a three-shot group. If they all hit in a nice tight group where I want them to land in relation to the aiming point, all well and good, we're done! BUT, if they do not, I adjust the sight the required amount, and shoot three more. These last three are generally about where they are supposed to be, IF I am using a scope or rear sight that has reliable adjustments AND is mounted securely.........
Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the scope mounted securely and you yourself are not flinching when you shoot, then I would try another scope. I personally wouldn't use a Tasco for a paperweight, let alone mount it on a rifle.
That, however, is my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it........
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys...I actually got the thing shooting decent now after really tightening down all screws...at 100yrds I got 3 shots to touch one another. I'll have to agree with you all on the Tasco scopes...they aren't much count but this is my dad's gun and it was a last resort to get the gun shooting before turkey season came in. He has ordered a Barska for the gun now...not sure if it will be much better. thanks anyhow.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kbeaner

Thanks for the info guys...I actually got the thing shooting decent now after really tightening down all screws...at 100yrds I got 3 shots to touch one another. I'll have to agree with you all on the Tasco scopes...they aren't much count but this is my dad's gun and it was a last resort to get the gun shooting before turkey season came in. He has ordered a Barska for the gun now...not sure if it will be much better. thanks anyhow.
I don't know about NOW, but Tasco's used to be made in Japan. Barskas are MADE IN CHINA!! I am NOT a Tasco fan, but I believe I'd rather have a JAP scope than a Chinese one!

(Good, cheap scopes are like good, cheap horses. There are GOOD ones and there are CHEAP ones, but they ain't no GOOD CHEAP ONES!)