Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How often do you clean your gun?

Old 04-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How often do you clean your gun?

ORIGINAL: Offshootboy

I just got a Browning Gold Fusion and every time after I shoot it I want to tear it down and clean everything.

So I guess my question isshould I keep cleaning my baby this often or will I start wearing out parts if i keep this up. (Is it doing more harm than good)

Otherwise how many rounds should i shoot through it before I clean it?

Thanks
I clean all arms after firing them, whether it was one shot or 1,000 shots. Before they are put away, they are cleaned and preserved with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH. Then several times each year, I get them all out of the safe, and spend the day renewing their coating of SHEATH inside and out. Next,they re-enter the safe, ALL snug inside their silicone-impregnated GUNNY-SOCKS.

I have lived in Centtral NY (where it rains more than even Seattle) and now in S. central PA since 1989, and so far, none of my guns have shown any rust or corrosion on metallic parts or in bores/chambers, dspite the ambinet humidity in this part of the country.

It does NOT hurt to clean every time you shoot them, BUT use a bore guide and a non-imbedding cleaning rod to prevent bore damage from the rod!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I clean the bores of my longguns after shooting at the range or in the field. I do a complete strip and clean a few times a year. I clean my carry pistols after every shooting session.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

i clean after every shooting session but i dont always tear the gun down i only do that about every third cleaning. the other times i clean the action and pull the bore snake through the barrel.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I clean the bore after every range session and a complete takedown twice a year.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

i clean the bores after every shooting session. The barrels and receivers of my bolt actions are coated with heavy grease where they go in the stock.All my bolt actions have floated barrelsand they are not taken out of the stock unless they get wet while hunting.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I clean the my guns after each time I go out to the range. Before hunting season they will get a complete takedown. During the rifle hunting season it is usually -20 or below where I hunt. If you take the guns out of the cases to clean them before they warm up to room temperature they develope huge condisation so we have to be careful.