Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope question - is this a good idea?

Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Default scope question - is this a good idea?

I have a Savage 110 chambered in .270 that came packaged with the Simmons 3-9x scope. I recently acquired a Ruger Mini-14 and was thinking of take the scope off the Savage and using the factory supplied Ruger rings to put it on my Mini-14. I would then purchase another, better scope for my Savage.

I'm pretty sure I'll receive a unanimous "yeah that's a good idea."

Now another question, what scope? I'm looking to spend about 100-120 dollar range (no job, college student, you get the picture) when my tax return shows up.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope question - is this a good idea?

Your idea sounds fine, but what scope are thinking of in that price range that will do any more for you than the Simmons. If you are not going to significantly "upgrade" your scope, I would not go to the trouble.

As for the scope on the Mini 14, if your's is like mine was, a scope is not going to help with accuracy other than to give you a closer look at how inaccurate the gun is.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are only going to spend $120 on a scope, it better be a good used one. If not, leave it alone. The Simmons should give you a good season or two before it goes bad, unless you shoot a lot at the range. I've been there, and had to pay way to much for a new scope, when my Simmons gave out, the day before opener!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Spike

Bushnell Legend or Nikon ProStaff will be your best bet if that's the route you're going to take. You can get a refurbished ProStaff from SWFA's Sample List for $99. You can also get a brand new one on ebay for about $125. I haven'tpriced the Bushnell, but it's a similar scope for probably similar money.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ever the term, "you get what you pay for", applies....it applies with scopes! In my opinon, your scope is not where you look to save money. Get a good deal on a used quality scope, or keep the Simmons until you can afford a new one!JMHO
Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I have a Savage 110 chambered in .270 that came packaged with the Simmons 3-9x scope. I recently acquired a Ruger Mini-14 and was thinking of take the scope off the Savage and using the factory supplied Ruger rings to put it on my Mini-14. I would then purchase another, better scope for my Savage.

I'm pretty sure I'll receive a unanimous "yeah that's a good idea."

Now another question, what scope? I'm looking to spend about 100-120 dollar range (no job, college student, you get the picture) when my tax return shows up.
IF you are only able to spend $100 - $120, you might as well leave that Simmons on the Savage! For that little money, nothing you buy is going to be any better, unless you luck out on e-Bay with a good, older used scope like one of the steel-tube Weaver K-models, or a Lyman All-American with a Perma-Center reticle...... Don't turn up your nose at a good old FIXED-POWER 4X or 6X.

Put a cheapie 2.5X20 or 4X20 on the Mini-it needs a small scope......
Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I recently purchased a Nikon ProStaff scope for my son's 243. I figured he would be rough on the rig so I didn't want to waste much $. I paid 115 for the scope brand new. When I pulled it out of the box and looked through it I was plesantly surprised. It holds POI & tracks perfectly on the 243. I know a friend that has one on a 7 Mag and loves it. So in your price range I would definately recommend the NIKON.