Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trouble finding 870 supermag thumbhole stock

Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Trouble finding 870 supermag thumbhole stock

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a rem 870 supermag aftermarket thumbhole stock? Appreciate any help
Old 04-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trouble finding 870 supermag thumbhole stock

I'm not trying to be rude, but why?Are youturkey hunting or deer hunting? I've never used a shotgun on anything but rabbits, squirrel's and waterfowl. Is a thumbhole stock good for big game on a shotgun? I've thought about trying one on a rifle, but I never have.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

It gives the shooter a more stable platform over a conventional stock . I have even seen them used on shotguns used for trap shooting .
Old 04-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're best for Turkey, IMO, since you always seem to have the problem of knocking yourself in the nose when you shoot. They REALLY help, and pistol grips are sweet, too. They would really be good for deer, I imagine.
They feel good.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

In response to lucky dog this is solely a turkey gun.. I shot my buddies 870 w/ thumbhole stock it was amazing how steady you can hold that gun. I also noticed I was better able to effectively reduce some of therecoil allowing for a no flinch situation. It also was much easier to hold at extended times when a bird moved in from a direction you weren't expecting him. By pulling the stock into your shoulder you are using muscles that are closer to the body reducing strain on forearm which is obviously further from your body. Example hold 10lbs w/ a bent arm in position you would hold the stock now try to hold 10 lbs on your extended arm as you would be holding the forearm see which one you can hold longer I know what the results would be. Luckydog if you ever get the chance shoot the 2 side by side i would bet you would opt for the thumbhole unless you are maybe a traditionalist who resists change or you or are the few who just don't feel comfortable with it It seems to be catching on fast in Western Ny I personally know at least 10 guys shooting turkey guns w/ thumbhole or pistol grip Sometime change can be good!!!!!!!!! This is one of those times
Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas list one online for $79. It looks pretty fancy, walnut. Doesn't say if it fits a supermag, only 870. I don't know if it make a difference. Found a picture too. I would contact Remington and ask them for a retailers information. I'd think they would be willing to help. Good Luck

Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt068

Have you heard of anyone using them waterfowling?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Luckydog, Even with the Iroquois national wildlife preserve(Alabama Swamps) from what I'm told some of the best waterfowl hunting in NY within 20 miles of me I don't know many waterfowl hunters. The only drawback i can see is on a quick draw such as ducks might be hard to line up thumb with gloves etc in a quick fluid motion. If your well concealed in a roomy blind where you could already have thumb in place I think it would be awesome. As in turkey the magnum loads put a hurtin on your shoulder w/ the thumbhole some of the felt recoil could be reduced possibly making you a better shooter w/out going to managed recoil shells. Hell i try anything once and for turkey hunting i know it will be awesome I'd give a try waterfowling as well nothing ventured nothing gained!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
bigcountry

I know for me,1 of turkeys I have taken, I just didn't have the opportunity to turn around and had to take a left handed shot. I know I wouldn't have a thumbhole turkey gun.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

i went to a gun store today and they made some phone calls and looked through many books, and they said you cant buy them unless you can get them from remington but they said it would be near impossible to do that.