Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun - Now With Pictures

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Spike

Default New Gun - Now With Pictures

Thanks to all who gave advice and helped with this decision. I went with the Remington 700 SPS .30-06. I put a Sightron SI 3-9X40 scope on it with Leupold rings. I plan on breaking it in Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.
I should say that I got it from Tristate Outfitters in Moses Lake, WA. I was happy with the service I recieved. They mounted the scope and bore sighted it for me. They also threw in a box of rounds to use breaking the gun in. The price was also decent. I paid $420 for the gun and $140 for the scope.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Gun

Sounds good! Now get out there an enjoy your new firearm!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

sounds great
Old 04-06-2007, 02:54 PM

I have the same gun but the DM model and I love it.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,man!

If the recoil gets to be too much, get a Limbsaver recoil pad, it REALLY works! It made my grandpa's 30-06 feel like a plinker!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Spike

I took it out to break it in Saturday. The recoil wasn't bad, just a nice satisfying punch. I love this gun. I started breaking & sighting it in at about 30 yards. The very first shot I make with it after only having it bore sighted in the store went here:

After breaking it in, I looked at the group and made only one adjustment. The next shot went here:

Too many people were shooting to go move my targets farther out, but there was enough litter on the range to get an idea of how accurate I was. I hit an old gas can at 100 yards, a tire at 200 yards, and an old pallet just beyond that.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new gun! I have the same gun in a different caliber. I had to put a muzzel brake and a limbsaver on it to make it shooter friendly. But now that its equipped the way it is, I lovethe gun and use it to hunt almost everything I hunt with a rifle. I think you made a great choice and will be happy for years to come.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Congrats on the new gun! I have the same gun in a different caliber. I had to put a muzzel brake and a limbsaver on it to make it shooter friendly. But now that its equipped the way it is, I lovethe gun and use it to hunt almost everything I hunt with a rifle. I think you made a great choice and will be happy for years to come.
Thanks. It does kick like a mule, but it's very accurate right now and I don't really want to do anything that would affect that. It actually came with a decent kick pad already on it. It's also strangely satisfying to feel that punch in the shoulder.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean, I like the fact that my .308 recoils as much as it does, I would hate to have it less!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I know what you mean, I like the fact that my .308 recoils as much as it does, I would hate to have it less!
Barepaw, You have really nice rifle/scope combo there that should serve you well for many years to come, but this has got to be one of the silliest statements that I have ever seen on a message board. You actually like the fact that you gun kicks and would not like it to kick LESS? Not that I have ever seen 308 listed among the hard kickers of the gun world. I have a new Blaser R-93 308, and the first thing I did was install a recoil reducer in the stock. I am a firm believer that the elimination of recoil improves accuracy (at least for me). Again, to me, the invention of the Simms pads/Limbsaver technology are among the greatest of the gun world.

I own and shoot MANY guns, but my favorites are the ones that DON'T KICK.

Quick Reply: New Gun - Now With Pictures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.