Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington or Savage?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Spike

Default Remington or Savage?

Thanks to all who answered the post about the Remington 700. I've changed my mind now and I want a .30-06 instead of a .308. I was at the store looking at the Rem. 700 SPS and also saw a Savage (not sure what model). Both had synthetic stocks, but the Savage was about $25.00 cheaper and came with a scope. The scope was a cheapo that I would probably replace, but the guns looked to be pretty similar. What are your opinions of Savage? Would it be worth the extra few bucks to get the Remington?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington or Savage?

The Savage is a great gun, but in my opinion, its worth the money to get the Remington. I started with a savage with a simmons scope, years later and I shoot the Remingington 700. Its a great gun.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess that would depend on whether you were going to look at it or shoot it . Personally I find my Savage rifles are every bit as accurate as my Remingtons . Maybe not as pretty ,but who cares,but the one that fits you .
Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: halcon

Guess that would depend on whether you were going to look at it or shoot it . Personally I find my Savage rifles are every bit as accurate as my Remingtons . Maybe not as pretty ,but who cares,but the one that fits you .
I agree that Savages are probably as accurate as almost any production rifle on the market, but something else to consider is which one will hold it's value. A Remington is a REMINGTON. You may be a "bury me with my rifle" guy and in that case a Savage is great, but a Remington SHOULD hold it's value better than a Savage (at least in my area). I know guys that bought Savages because it was all they could afford and later wanted to move "up", and they literally almost have to give them away.

CLARIFICATION: The above statements may ONLY be true in MY AREA, but they are true HERE.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 AM

can't beat the 700 action good choice of the 30/06 py personal fav.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

savage is a very good brand it is known for its accuracy as for which gun is better, for me it would come down to how the gun feels. Either way im sure you wont be disappointed. good luck
Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

All are good sound replies. If you plan on trading in a few years, you are probably better off with the Remington, especially for only a $25 difference (except if it were a model 710).
I personally was a die hard Remington fan, and still own several of their rifles and shotguns. Most shoot well. But lately I've been going with Savage and I haven't looked back. My last 4 rifle purchases have been Savages including one used one and every one of them are excellent shooters right out of the box. I've had Remingtons, Rugerand Brownings that needed work, be it a trigger job or bedding to get to shoot to my satisfaction, but never a Savage.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Savage is a great rifle but I prefer the Remington.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM

First off both brands are very good . Personally myself I'm a Tikka man but that wasn't the question that was ask ...However I do own a savage and rem... I found that the rem will shot good after the barrel is floated and the trigger is turned down to a respectible level...Now on the other hand the Savage with the accutrigger might not be nothing to look at but man do they shoot. That is going to be my next Purchise in thumbhole 17hmr stainless.... What ever your choice I don't think you coud go wrong with either one... GROUP EM TIGHT AND PRACTICE LOTS...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Own both Remington and Savage. Both are great guns for me. I have them in different cal. so both have their own job to do. Life is always better when you have more choices. It just means that you may need more gun safes.

Quick Reply: Remington or Savage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.