Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question on Short Action Ultra Mags

Old 12-14-2002, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default question on Short Action Ultra Mags

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag in Rem. 700 BDL, i love the power and reach of the gun, but am not used to the weight and length of the gun since ive used a winchester model 94 for years. I am considering getting a model 7 in 7mm SAUM next year. I want the .28 caliber magnum but in a smaller package. I have seen the comparisons between the 7mm rem mag and 7mm WSM but havent seen them between the rem mag and rem ultra mag short. Anyone know how much of a diffrence in power and range there is and would you loose much going to the shorter barrel of the model 7?
Old 12-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question on Short Action Ultra Mags

The 7mm rem ultra mag short has a slightly smaller case than the 7mmwsm so it will produce slightly less velocity.Do not believe the comparison between the 7mmrem mag and 7mmwsm in the browning and winchester adds as browning and winchester have used lies and deception to make the 7mmwsm appear to be superior to the 7mm rem mag.In reality the 7mm rem mag will produce approximately 100 fps or more velocity than the 7mm wsm.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question on Short Action Ultra Mags

I agree with stubblejumper. The Rem Mag will produce 100 fps more than the SAUM or the WSM.

No deer or elk will never know the difference, however. If you want a short-action rifle, for all intents and purposes, on game, the three rounds will perform exactly the same.

The only thing the shorts won't do as well is launch a 175gr bullet. But I honestly don't know why you would want to use one. If it takes that much penetration use a 250gr bullet in a .338 Win Mag.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting