Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Cleaning Question For the Gurus

Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Barrel Cleaning Question For the Gurus

Alright fellas. Alot of you know I am very bad when it comes to cleaning the bores of my rifles. So last week I ordered up some goodies from Midway.

I got a few Tipton 1 piece cleaning rods to cover all calibers of rifles I own.

I also bought a bottle of Butch's Bore Shine, Sweet's 7.62 Solvent, and some Kano KROIL. Also got a bunch of Jags.

I have a Browning A-Bolt that has around 1,000rds without a clean job, more than likely a ton of copper fouling. How would you go about cleaning the bore of this rifle? What product should I try first?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Barrel Cleaning Question For the Gurus

I use Hoppes Bench Rest and a good qualitywirebristle bore brush.Thebarrel of my .300 Win Mag got very fouled several years ago. This gunhasa28 inch barrel that is hard to clean because of it's length.
It took aboutfour or five cleaning sessions with the bristle brush to do the job. I pull the solvent soaked brushin and out of the barrelabout 20-50 times and then let the gunlie on the cleaning pad for about 30 minutes and then run patches through it.Do not use those spiral looking brushes that are made of stainless steel.

Some folks say that Hoppes should not be left in a gun with a stainless barrel.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I just got done polishing up my 7mag. Took about an hour.....I just used the Sweets tonite. Seems to have done a very good job, then I put a patch of oil down it an dried it, then ran another wet oil patch down it an left it after that. Going to shoot if a few times tomorrow to foul her up a bit.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the copper fouling is severe,it could require several applications of sweets to remove it all.It could easily take days to remove severe copper fouling using hoppes benchrest.Before shooting your rifle,dry swab the barrel to remove any excess oil.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I had a bore guide with my order too that I forgot to mention in my first post.

I started by running a brush down the bore probably 20-30 times, it had 2 really tuff spots right above the chamber that I could hardly get it thru. Then once it was movin thru the bore relatively easy, I ran a few wet patches of Sweets down the barrel, set the timer on my microwave for 12 minutes, then ran a few dry patches. Then I ran a few more wet patches of Sweets down an let it sit again for a while. Then ran a few dry patches, they started looking clean so I ran a few wet patches of Kroil down the tube and it instantly picked up some residue. So I went back to using Sweets for a while. After about an hour of alternating between Sweets, Kroil, brush, mops, it got to where there was nothing showing up on patches. Finally, I ran 2 wet patches of Kroil down, and called it good for the day.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some good info on bore cleaning:

www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I have a Browning A-Bolt that has around 1,000rds without a clean job, more than likely a ton of copper fouling.

How would you go about cleaning the bore of this rifle? What product should I try first?
I don't know! I have never tried to clean a rifle that has been fired that much and never cleaned.......
Old 04-05-2007, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Harry Pope once said: "More gun barrels are ruined by cleaning than by neglect."(paraphrased)

""Not long after that I bought a heavy .32-40 Winchester single-Shot and rebored
it for a .33 muzzle-loader. With it I began to win. So far that rifle has
been fired about 125,000 times, and all with the old mercuric chlorate primers.
They're supposed to raise hell with a gun, but it's perfect yet, after that
use.
"It was at this time that I would save money to come to the New York matches
from Hartford."

Harry Pope was the greatest barrel maker who ever lived. Also one of the best shots with a rifle who ever lived.

The link:

http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/_2000_retired_files/Harry_Pope-The_Old_Master.txt

Old 04-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: falcon

Harry Pope once said: "More gun barrels are ruined by cleaning than by neglect."(paraphrased)

""Not long after that I bought a heavy .32-40 Winchester single-Shot and rebored
it for a .33 muzzle-loader. With it I began to win. So far that rifle has
been fired about 125,000 times, and all with the old mercuric chlorate primers.
They're supposed to raise hell with a gun, but it's perfect yet, after that
use.
"It was at this time that I would save money to come to the New York matches
from Hartford."

Harry Pope was the greatest barrel maker who ever lived. Also one of the best shots with a rifle who ever lived.

The link:

http://www.metalworking.com/Dropbox/_2000_retired_files/Harry_Pope-The_Old_Master.txt
Yes! Absolutely correct! A misused (or over-used!!) cleaning rod is the worst thing that can happen to a good barrel! Wouldn't it =be something to own one of Harry Pope's .33/40 barrels!!

Quick Reply: Barrel Cleaning Question For the Gurus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.