Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Toy!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Toy!

Well, after all this talk of 7-08s on this board, I decided to give one a try myself. So I bought myself a Pro Hunter barrel for my Encore with some cash I had laying around since selling one of my 357s.

I bought it from Eabco. Great place to do business with, had it in 3 days on my doorstep. Topped it off with a Nikon 4.5-14x40 that I have laying around, got a bunch of loading stuff from Midway today as well. I did buy the cheapest box of bullets I could find for it at Cabelas on Friday. Going to do the initial zeroing with them. Will post up how she shoots for sure.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Default RE: New Toy!

It looks like a very sharp set-up!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the looks of that. Hope it shoots good and I will be anxious to here how it shoots. I think for deer the 130 Speer Hot Core would be about Ideal although there are a host of good bullets that would work well. I like the 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter In the 280 at about 2850 FPS. Great looking gun. I need One

When is the Watertown show?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Very Nice!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the compliments fellas!

JamesB - The Watertown show was a few weekends back. I completely forgot about it till after the fact. I got a host of bullets to try in the new gun. I got a box of 120gr TSXs, 140gr BT, 140gr AccuBond, 139gr Hornady SSTs, 160gr AccuBonds, 175gr Nosler Partitions.

That was another reason I decided to go with the 7-08, I have a ton of bullets stock-piled for my 7mag. I will be trying out the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunters as well.

If we don't get snowed on anymore today I might be able to get out by the end of the week and get some lead flung thru her.

PS - Anyone else not getting an email notification to topics that you either started or replied to?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM

That's a great looking set up. Have fun.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I couldn't handle it anymore. I took it out an shot it 9 times tonite. Started at 25 yards and almost put two thru the same hole about 1.5" high and 1" right. Tweaked the scope some, an moved back to 50, almost put two in the same hole, so I moved back to 100, shot once, tweaked the scope a lil too much, then corrected it an shot 2 times. The 2 bullets were about 3/4" apart. Then, I called it a nite. Wind was blowing a steady 15 cross my shooting range, and gusting up to 20mph, and it was sleeting. I have high hopes that the gun is going to shoot pretty decent as soon as I get some ideal weather!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hell by August we should be done with winter.Keep up the reports.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since it is winter again, I just might have to load up a few different bullets tomorrow an see what the new barrel likes.

Anyone know if it is possible to mount a Harris bipod on a Pro Hunter forearm, since the sling swivel is at an angle? One of my buddies has my bipod, or I'd check myself.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah its snowing like HHHH here again tonight. Just when the range was drying out and I was pumped to start shooting.[:@]

I think the Bi-pod will still work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.