Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Democrats Quoting Zumbo

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Democrats Quoting Zumbo

On the floor of the US Senate, Powerful Anti-Gun Senator Carl Levin used Zumbo a reason that guns must be banned:

Mr. LEVIN. Mr. President, the National Rifle Association leadership has stated repeatedly that a ban on assault weapons is ineffective and unnecessary. They assert that guns labeled as assault weapons are rarely used in violent crimes and that most people use them for hunting. However, despite these repeated assertions, the list of

[Page: S3348]people speaking out against assault weapons continues to grow.
Jim Zumbo , an outdoors entrepreneur who lives in a log cabin near Yellowstone National Park, has spent much of his life writing for prominent outdoor magazines, delivering lectures across the country and who starred in a highly rated TV show about big-game hunting. Jim has been an NRA member for 40 years, and, according to his Web site, has appeared with NRA officials in 70 cities across the country. This relationship changed drastically when Jim expressed his commonsense opinion on assault weapons.

Last month, after learning that some hunters were using assault weapons to hunt prairie dogs, Jim expressed his thoughts in his personal blog on the Outdoor Life magazine website. He wrote:

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them ``terrorist rifles.''

He continued by stating that in his:

..... humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our ``sporting firearms.''

The reaction from NRA officials was swift and callous. They immediately severed all ties with Mr. Zumbo . His TV program on the Outdoor Channel was canceled, and his longtime career with Outdoor Life magazine ended. In addition, many of his corporate ties to the biggest names in gun making, such as Remington Arms Co., were terminated.

Jim Zumbo has worked for years to improve the image of outdoorsmen. As he put it:

As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.

We all owe Jim Zumbo a debt of gratitude for his forthrightness, his honesty and his courage. We must put the safety of our communities first by taking up and passing sensible gun legislation that includes renewing the assault weapons ban.

(Congressional Record, page S3347, March 20, 2007)

Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Democrats Quoting Zumbo

I'm ashamed to live near where this idiot "serves" some people in Michigan.

He's nothing more than most politicians....a windbag that grabs onto whatever cause the thinks he can ride like a rented mule....he's an ass of the highest degree.

But he keeps getting re-elected over and over because his voting base happens to be the Democratic majority of the old Detroit. Some won't like hearing the truth, but in my opinion, the majority that vote in the Detroit precincts make sure to vote for the candidate that espouses the most government programs with attached handouts. And he pushes for every "poor me" program.. Makes him very popular with the out-of work folks who seem more comfortable with complaining about being out of work than trying to work.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

You're absolutely right, In fact, I herd Detroit is the 3 most liberal city in the country. Detroit is the reason why this state votes democrat, it's a less extreme version on Illinois.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you can figure why they cater to them. The more people dependent on government the less there is left to question the self serving, pos, greedy elected "servants"....
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't these Democrat fools realize that now, more than ever in the past 150 years, is the time when it is extremely important that the American people be armed?

Even if militant Islam is able to harm us significantly abroad, they can never defeat 300 million ARMED CITIZENS!

"Suppose you were a member of Congress. Suppose you were an idiot. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain
Old 03-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes wonder why Democrats on the whole, are generally anti-gun. Are there not Democratic shooters and hunters out there? Or is it because the main bulk of their membership resides in and around the big cities and metropolitan areas where outdoor activities such as hunting and shooting are virtually unknown? About the only encounters they have with guns is probably what the man on the 6:00 news tells them. Well, that's a real good place to get unbiased factual information now, isn't it? The news media. "We'll tell it OUR way". Blue states. Why do these people feel that they have the right to tell the rest of the country how to handle themselves, when they have no understanding of our lifestyles and practices? Things are starting to look a little grim when the Barbra Boxers, Finesteins, Hillarys and Pelosi's are now heading the way. Shumer is a total disaster on gun owner's rights. Why are all these loonies in the Democratic Party, or is this just the type of individual that party attracts?
Thank God for the NRA and it's people to do lobbying for our rights. I have no doubt in my mind that if it was not for them gun ownership in this country as we understand it today would be severely curtailed and/or eliminated. No guns, no hunting. No target shooting. No reloading.
The only people who will have guns then are the criminals. Gun laws mean absolutely nothing to them, or any other laws for that matter.
I'm afraid the upcoming ride is gonna be a rough one. Dig in and hang on tight.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see it all the time,if a liberial sees one person do something wrong they all are wrong.We as gun owners had better start paying attention.There is several senators wanting your guns put in a pile and burned.There are way to many white crosses at normandy, arlington & vfw gave yards for me to just let them take from us what those men fought and died for.It is not only our rifles but our declaration of independence.Our rights as Americans are being challenged,most of our so called leaders fall flat on there face when confronted with those items.Our country was won and has servived by God fairing,brave, and for the people leaders.They had no political agenda just the love of there country and there fellow man(American).Mr Zumbo quoted a dumb and quite frankly stupid ideal that people with AR-15's are not safe.Well most of them are safer then some with BB guns.Why cant they see that most people are shot with .22lr not a .50bmg.,.223. I have to go I could talk about this all day!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why are all these loonies in the Democratic Party, or is this just the type of individual that party attracts?

This is the type of people who created the jackass party (as it is today).
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing is for sure, the Dems didn't need Jim Zumbo to freak out about guns. Trouble is, hunters didn't need him either it seems. While I can forgive his misque, the damage is done.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

I see it all the time,if a liberial sees one person do something wrong they all are wrong.We as gun owners had better start paying attention.There is several senators wanting your guns put in a pile and burned.There are way to many white crosses at normandy, arlington & vfw gave yards for me to just let them take from us what those men fought and died for.It is not only our rifles but our declaration of independence.Our rights as Americans are being challenged,most of our so called leaders fall flat on there face when confronted with those items.Our country was won and has servived by God fairing,brave, and for the people leaders.They had no political agenda just the love of there country and there fellow man(American).Mr Zumbo quoted a dumb and quite frankly stupid ideal that people with AR-15's are not safe.Well most of them are safer then some with BB guns.Why cant they see that most people are shot with .22lr not a .50bmg.,.223. I have to go I could talk about this all day!!!!
Very well said. Way too many people died for me to have the right to own my firearms, and I can tell you now that many more people would die if they took away our rights away. In some areas, the only thing that keeps crime from happening is the amount of people who own firearms, criminals think twice when they see a sign that says: "This house is insured by Smith & Wesson, and Remington, and Winchestor, and....."

Quick Reply: Democrats Quoting Zumbo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.