Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Insurance

Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Gun Insurance

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Take pictures, collect serial numbers, have reciepts ready for proof.
Definitely good advise. Would have eliminated lots of headaches ( live & learn ) but they sure gave me the run around for no reason...
In fact after talking to my agent yesterday, I think I have decided to take some picturs of my tools. Whats the most stolen items? Tools, guns, and jewelry. I guess high dollar entertainment systems too.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Whats the most stolen items? Tools, guns, and jewelry.
Items that can “ get up an go” are hot and " tools " fit the bill just perfect , with no serial numbers. I was suppose to engrave some kind of marking on my tools , but just never got around to it. Maybe some day...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You just simply have to have documentation. Anyone who has guns and doesn't have both pictures and serial nos., when you bought it, bill of sale if possible, and some documentation of it's worth is asking for trouble if a bad situation arises. One other point....Don't keep your documentation in the safe with the guns! Find another safe, fireproof place to keep it, either on or off your own home area.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet is take video,make a copy and put in 2 locations.When a loss occurs pictures and/or video along with any receipts will speed up the settlement process.A picture is worth a 1000 words holds very true when your trying to prove the extent($$$)of a loss such as total theft or total fire.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes sir - video is the best visual record to take. About once a year or two I thru thehouse and record everything we can. I do the tour of my place pulling all the guns out one by one calling out make, model and read the serial #s (some ain't got serial #s). Pull all our jewelry out and describe it and lay on the bed. Count all the cash, gold bars and diamonds. Describe everything being recorded.Then it's thru the garage doing the same thing. I do my shop and trucks too.

I keep my DVDs and recordsat the bank - they won't help much if they are stolen, lost or burned ya know.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: c j

That's a common misconception coming from people who see one side of the issue.

Most of the time, the people who get the most upset about their claims are the ones who have never bothered to read their policy. They think that because they pay money for insurance, they are entitled to hit the jackpot when they turn in a claim, no matter what the actual circumstances are. The policies typically spell everything out in great detail as to what's covered and to what extent it's covered.

That's not to mention the 'extras' that people like to tack on to their claims. Like the ones who say their radio no longer works after their rear bumper got tapped at 5mph. Or their transmission is now slipping, etc.

Insurance generally boils down to documentation.The policy documents what is/isn't covered, andfrom there, it's up to the individual to document their damages.
Not trying to start a pissing contest here or anything! But, I'm a general contractor and have had dealings with my fair share of insurance claims. Like most there are good and bad. I tend to remember the bad and forget the good.

I once had a customers house hit by a tornado. It didn't flatten it but it knocked three sides off its foundation. It was a total loss in my mind. Adjuster decided that they shouldn't have to pay for a new roof because it was fine. So I ask you How am I supposed to replace the rest of the house without touching the roof?

I also personally was hit by a car. Other guys fault, but it was a hit and run. They never caught the guy, got his driver side mirror but nothing else. Anyway, insurance didn't want to pay medical bills because this other persons insurance should be held responsible. Which I agree it should, but how are you going to charge his insurance when no one knows who the heck he is? they wanted to wait and see, meanwhile the hospital is leaving dirty messages at my house and hurting my credit.

Sorry for the rant. Insurance in my mind is a necesary evil at best, and a license to steal at its worst. BC I hope you never have need of that insurance.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Points on the Roof Deal []
I was on the "Regional Cat Team" for all three companys I worked for.
I had some real bad relations with some contractors of all types not just building - Liars,cheats,thief,lousy work etc..On the other hand I had a great business relationship with Many Many more.

There are some adjusters out there that are poorly advised and/or trained in Homeowner losses.

Same applies for Insurance Compainies - there is very good - so - so and just plain Lousy as in every business.

Bottom line I agree 100% with cj analogy.

Guns and other valuables - do what UM did.I can tell you from experiance if I had pictures and/or video to look at when I handled a Fire or Theft loss it made life alot easier for the insured/homeowner and ME!

Your injury;(Off Topic);
I don't know the particulars or what state you reside - but - If you have PIP on your policy it should be activated - Now or your UMBI coverage.Look it Up. If you have those policy coverages in your state and your company baulks at using that coverage when the Hit and Run driver has not yet been located - then call your State Insurance Dept and tell them all the paticulars.Your company if they find the driver and they have insurance(which they might not)can always subrogate ALL the charges. Good Luck