Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for other gun options.......

Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for other gun options.......

A plinker? You should look at the Marlin 917 17 HMR. Should be able to pick one up for around $200 give or take a few bucks.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thinkthemini-30 looks like a good option, since it fires the same cartridge as the SKS, which does have very cheap, and decentammo.I have family members who have SKS's, and they're okay, but you never know if they'll be dependable, accurate, etc.

I even heard there were smoothbore SKS's!!!!! There's a Soviet one my grandpa has, and it's the dirtiest gun you'll ever see, and the most accurate open-sights gun at 50 yards I've fired, which isn't much, I will admit, since we have scopes on most of our high-powered rifles.

Is there any cheap ammo in case I do get an M1 Carbine? I haven't looked for much .30 Carbine ammo, but I was wondering what would be a good place to get, decent quality, cheap ammo? Cabela's Bulk ammo costs almost a dollar a round, I think, right?

Otherwise, I'd be overjoyed if I could get an M1 Carbine, since I heard one guy whom I know wellsay it was a very fun gun for shooting, and serves as a short range, "Brush Gun", too.

If you could get back to me on those questions I have, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know guys that have Mini 14 and love them, but mine would not hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards. I have heard others that have had similar experiences with theirs. AR-15's are definitely more accurate than Mini 14's (and probably many bolt guns in 223), but you are right about the price being a little high. You might can find a used Bushmaster or RRA for under $700, but you will have to shop around.

Ruger makes the 10/22 in 22 magnum, and they are fun little guns. I owned one when they first came out, and mine was very accurate. I have also had a stainless Ruger M77/22 magnum, and it was super accurate. I prefer the M77/22's over the 10/22, but that is just me.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

10/22 in .22 Magnum?

That sounds really cool, I'll put that on my list of consideration.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

10/22 in 22mag was discontinued. You might be able to find one in a gunshop somewhere, but the chances aren't very good. I know because I've been looking for a while, almost impossible to find one here.

I have a Mini14 and I would sell it if it wasn't a 200th year of liberty gun. Don't expect it to perform any miracles in the accuracy department. It will fling lead as fast as you can pull the trigger. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time and money on one.

The AR15 is a great choice, will cost you some more $$$ but it also will holds its value alot better than a Mini14 if you ever decide to get rid of it. The second you take a Mini14 out of a gunshop it automatically drops about half of its value if not more.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, that's too bad,

Are they any other auto-loading .22 WMR's?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 597 has a 22WMR.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 PM

personally i wouldnt look much into the m1 carbine. not worth much to me. i would look for something in 223 if you want fun and decent priced. the ar's are spendy but its worth saving for one of them over a mini. i have never seen a mini shoot overly well. i think there is a company something like olympic or olympia or something that makes an ar if im not mistaken. not the quality of bushmaster and some of them but still shoot pretty well. i think there is also something like sega. again dont know much about them but have heard pretty decent about them. something to look into at least

Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Kel-tec SU 16 series. A SU 16A is on my list. It is a little cheaper than the mini, reported to be more accurate, takes AR15 magazines, folds in half to fit behind the seat and holds up well. Some might bash Kel-tec, but I've heard many good things about this gun. It fits your definition of fun plinker, cheap ammo and not too expensive.

My $.02.

Spud
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thinkthemini-30 looks like a good option, since it fires the same cartridge as the SKS, which does have very cheap, and decentammo.I have family members who have SKS's, and they're okay, but you never know if they'll be dependable, accurate, etc.
The Mini-30 and the SKS shoot about the same most of the time, but the price difference is incredible. I picked up an unissuedYugo M59/66 for about $195 after shipping and FFL transfer. Shoots about 3-4 M.O.A.You can get a ton of cheap accessories for it, too.

I even heard there were smoothbore SKS's!!!!! There's a Soviet one my grandpa has, and it's the dirtiest gun you'll ever see, and the most accurate open-sights gun at 50 yards I've fired, which isn't much, I will admit, since we have scopes on most of our high-powered rifles.
Most SKS's aren't worth much past 250-300 yards, but you can put scopes on them. Some places send receiver covers with mounts already on them.

Is there any cheap ammo in case I do get an M1 Carbine? I haven't looked for much .30 Carbine ammo, but I was wondering what would be a good place to get, decent quality, cheap ammo? Cabela's Bulk ammo costs almost a dollar a round, I think, right?
Check Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guidefor ammo. Cabela's bulk prices aren't asbad as you'd though, though. They have 300 round for $100, 600 for $190, and 1,200 for $360.

Otherwise, I'd be overjoyed if I could get an M1 Carbine, since I heard one guy whom I know wellsay it was a very fun gun for shooting, and serves as a short range, "Brush Gun", too.

If you could get back to me on those questions I have, I'd appreciate it.
You friend hit the nail on the head. Good luck finding that new rifle. Hope the info helps.