Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Strict Break In (clean after each shot for first 20+ rounds)
18.00%
Moderate Break In (clean after each 3 or 5 shot group)
34.00%
Break In, What's that? (treat a new gun like any other)
48.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How do you break in a new rifle?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you break in a new rifle?

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

First off this should be posted in either the GUNS or FIREARMS REVIEW forums.

But, in response, I really don't know why you didn't include how far to shoot with a new barrel in your poll.

I have said it before and I'm saying it again. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to breaking in a new barrel is to NOT SHOOT TOO FAR UNTIL IT IS ADEQUATELY BROKEN IN (no matter how you choose to breal it in).

Rule of thumb..........

1st 20 shots or so - no further than 25-40 yards.

Then after cleaning, next 20 shots or so - no further than 50-75 yards.

Another cleaning and then the next shots - go out to like 125-150 yards.

Then clean again and you're good to go.

If you just go out and start shooting 200 yards, you will suffer what is called stretching.

I know those who haven't done thisor heard of itmight question the logic behind it, but those who do practice it are usually firm believers.

Is it April 1st already?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I was pretty interested in how the results from the poll were going to turn out when this was in the deer hunting forum. The rifle will primarily be used for deer hunting and it was pretty evident when it was in that forum that most hunters don't bother with a break in on new guns.Since it has been moved to the guns forum it hasn't received any additional votes for the "no break in" option.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dida print screen to show that the "Post a New Poll" option is not available in the gun forum. I've been told that it does, but obviously it doesn't show up for me in this forum. I does show up in other forums because I was able to post the poll in the deer hunting forum.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I need to know about barrel break-in is that it's a waste of my time. I know because I've been there and done thata few times.Hunting with rifles that weren't "properly" broken in has never, ever cost me an animal in the 35+years I've been at it. YMMV.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 AM

I voted for the strict break-in, but usually clean after one round for the first 10, and then switch to cleaning after 3 shots for the next 15, then clean after 5 shots for the 25 and then finally clean after a string of 10 shots.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

If you do want to try for a better group ,after a good cleaning push clean patches thru until you see nothing on them ,then fire a fouling shot off to the side of your target then shoot three more and check you size .
Good luck
I'm a newbie to the whole breaking in a gun thing but am trying to do my best. I had never heard the comment about firing a fouling shot off to the side before shooting a group. Are you saying that the first shot out of a clean barrel is gonna be unpredictable? When hunting should you take a gun that has been cleaned and put up or should you fire a fouling shot before you take it out to the woods?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it looks like the poll feature is now available in the gun forum.

Thanks, AJ52.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Spike

npaden. Don't be too discouraged about barrel break in. I just bought a browning stainless steel stalker 300wsm. and did not know anything about barrel break in. I have been wondering how to break in mine. The browning web site has the recommendation that I think I will follow. Have a look at it when you get the chance. It is in the FAQ's.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. The coppercleaner that I used did not have ammonia. It was a foam that you sprayed down the barrel. The gun range said that it would work just as well but now I'm 2nd guessing myselft.

Here's the quote from their FAQ's:

Q.
What is the recommended procedure for breaking in a new barrel?

A.
For the first ten shots we recommend, if possible, using jacketed bullets with a nitro powder load. After firing each bullet, use a good copper cleaner (one that has ammonia) to remove copper fouling in the barrel. We do NOT recommend anything with an abrasive in it since you are trying to seal the barrel, not keep it agitated. If you look into the end of the barrel after firing a shot, you will see a light copper-colored wash in the barrel. This must be removed before firing the next shot. Somewhere in the procedure, around shot 6 or 7, it will be obvious that the copper color is no longer appearing in the barrel. Continue applications through shot 10.

If you have any ammunition left, you then may shoot two rounds and clean it for the next ten shots. This is simply insurance that the burnishing process has been completed.

In theory what you have just accomplished is the closing of the pores of the barrel metal which have been opened and exposed through the cutting and lapping procedures.

The same process may be used with firing lead bullets and black powder to do the break-in procedure with the exception that in this case you should shoot 2 bullets before cleaning for the first 30 rounds. You could use harder lead if available. This will accelerate the break-in. This will accomplish the same thing as the jacketed bullets.

After following the procedure, your barrel's interior surface will be sealed and should shoot cleaner and develop less fouling for the rest of its shooting life.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Spike

Should be fine without the ammonia. I was wondering about using it anyway. I am thinking about using this method for about 1 box of cheap shells. Then I will begin my sighting in process with some groups then a cleaning maybe, still undecided on that one. Not sure if I am a beleiver on break ins or not. Beauty gun though eh!

Quick Reply: How do you break in a new rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.