Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun insurance?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun insurance?

The NRA has insurance policies for guns. Also, there are other companies out there who will issue coverage. Check the Ads section of some of the gun magazines and gun list publications for them. My home insurance policy is good for $1000. Whoopie. You know how much THAT is gonna cover............. I do have the NRA coverage, and it is "buildable".
Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all of the good info.But i dont have renters insurance yet,but my guns are not in my house they are at my parents in my dads safe,and insurance company will not insure his house because it dont have gutters and it has no railing on the porch and it is heated by wood stove and they wont approve the chimney,so cant get insurance were they are at..But i think that the NRA insurace is sounding pretty good..What do you mean Pawildman when you said that it is buildable?Forgive my ignorance on the issue i am just 19.The guns i have that i want to insure are:Marlin 336c 30-30 Marlin 1894 44 magMarlin 17V .17 Colt AR-15 Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag Remington 700 30-06 Springfield 1911-A1 45acp..When you get insurance from NRA do they appriase the guns that you want to insure and you buy the amount that the guns are worth or do you just buy a set amount of insurance..Also all of my guns are not in my name because i started buying them when i was 16,we put them in my moms name.Would that make a difference or do i need to switch them to my name??
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of your questions will probably need answered by the insurance issuing agency. When I talked about "buildable", what I was telling you is that as your number of guns increases or decreases, you can adjust the amount of covereage you have. The NRA, as I remember, simply asks how much coverage you want. I don't think I gave them an inventory, but that was some time ago, and their policies could have changed since.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are in a steel gun safe and are listed with my home insurance provider. They are covered at no extra charge.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some insurance companies will allow you to purchase a "rider" for additional coverage.
Yup.
Thetwo insurance companiesI have experience with do it the same way.
The generic policy (whether for homeowners or renters) will cover up to $2,000 against theft for firearms without a deductible (under the Special Limits of Liability provisions).

If the guns are lost due to another form of covered 'peril' such as flood or fire,any coveredloss is then subject to a deductible and thecoverage $amount goes up to the maximum on the Personal Property section (Coverage 'C') of the policy.

If an additional rider is purchased (also called a 'Personal Articles Floater' or a 'Schedule of Personal Property'), the amount of coverage for theftcan be increased, and no deductible applies regardless of the type of peril.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 AM
c j
Typical Buck

I'm a claims adjuster for anationalinsurance company.

Generally, any standard'homeowners' or 'renters' policy will provide some coverage for your guns. Most will have a special (reduced) limit of coverage for theft, though. ($1500to $2500 is usually the standard)So even if you have $50,000 in coverage for yourPersonal Property items and ONLY your guns are stolen, the most you'll get back is that $1500 (or $2000 or whatever theTheft Limit is) even ifthe gunstakenamounted to $4000.

For other types of covered losses ( 'fire' is the most common) there is usually no limit specific to the guns, but they will still fall under the larger limit that applies to ALL of your personal property (TV sets, clothes, knives, dishes, DVDs, etc.). Let's say you own guns worth $3,750 and you purchase insurance (either homeowners or renters) and they give you $50,000 in coverage for your Personal Property items. If you have a fire and lose everything, you should be able to get back whatever it takes to replace your guns. However, if the items you lose in the fire total over $50k, you'll still only get $50,000.So you can use that $50,000 to get your guns back, but you might end up short somewhere else. For instance,lets say you have$38,885 in guns and a $10,000 Plasma TV in addition to everything else you own. Sure, you can getthe guns and the TVreplaced for the $50k that the insurance company gives you, but what about everything elseyou own?

As a rule of thumb, almost EVERYONE is under-covered for their Personal Property items.When I have large fire claims,almost without exception we pay out the limit under the Personal PropertyCoverage and the insureds don't getenough money to replace every item they lost.

One thing you can do is request a higher overall limit for your personal property. The other thing you can do is to get your guns 'scheduled' on your policy. This means you're listing them specifically on the policy. It generally means you can put an individual limit on each gun, so you don't have to worry about them being under-covered. Another benefit to scheduling your guns individually is that you can usually get a reduced (sometimes even$0 ) deductible specific to the guns. Yet another benefitwith scheduling items such as guns or jewelry is that younormally geta broaderlist of coverages. For instance, instead of just being covered for fire, theft, etc., scheduled items can be covered even if they're lost.

Also, I'm not sure abouttheRenters policies, but generally Homeowners policies will still provide *some*coverage (usually 10% of the total) for your personal property even if it's not located on YOUR premises.

Anyway, hope this helps and doesn't get too confusing. Best bet is to just talk with your agent and theyshould be able to helpset you up withthe best possible coveragefor your situation. Just make sure you are absolutely upfront and honest with them so they can do what's best for you.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Like everyone else is saying, homeowners or renters cover some amount, usually 2000 or so. I looked further into it and You have to pay a little extra to get substantially more coverage. They wanted the info on what guns I had (which I didnt like giving that info) but they only requested general information on the type maker and action. It doesnt take many guns to go over 2000 bucks. I started tallying up what it would cost to replace my guns with new ones of the same kind and it shocked me as to how much I would stand to lose if they disapeared. 2000 didnt cut it. So, spend the extra few bucks. EJ
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Wow thanks for all of the good info..Im waiting on the NRA forms to get here and im gonna join and get insurance through them..But thanks again for all of the info.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone ever had a claim with the NRA insurance?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
c j
Typical Buck

bump - for the other thread.

Mods - any way to combine the two?

Quick Reply: Gun insurance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.