Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger barrels any good?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Ruger barrels any good?

I keep hearing the Ruger rifle barrels are no good becausethey are"hammer forged". What is this? Is it true? And why does it make for a bad barrel?

Ive been shooting an all weather Ruger M77 MKII in .300WM for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. But a buddy at work who is quite an accomplished gunsmith/machineist has poo-pooed my Ruger!

Is he justified? If so, what do you think of the Thompson Center Encore barrels?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger barrels any good?

If you are happy with your Ruger, that is all that matters. I have 3 that shoot very well. I think your gunsmith may be full of "poo poo".

The several Encore barrels that I have dealt with have been very accurate also.

Everyone has prejudices, and it sounds like your 'smith just doesn't like Ruger guns. I personally will never own a Savage, but I know MANY guys that shoot them and love them. I don't knock theirs, and they don't knock my Blasers (which alot of people do).
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been stocking and bedding rifles for 25+ years and I personally have NO problems with bedding m77 actions. In fact,I believe that is 1 of the best things about ruger m77,and m77 mk2 action design features,as it pulls the recoil lug down AND back to positive lug contact with stock when action screws and tightened. Glass bedding these rifles are NO harder than other popular rifle action designs. I know this from experience from bedding/building rifles from these actions over the years.
Ruger has indeed improved barrel quality since they started making their barrels in house. In my experience,quality hammer forged barrels are smoother and require less hand lapping than similar barrels that have button rifled or cut rifling.

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

That said, Ruger does have a bad barrel reputation, related mainly to the period in which they outsourced their barrels to Wilson IIRC. They have since moved production in-house and quality is rumored to have improved.

There is one other problems with Ruger 77 accuracy; their angledrecoil lug. Bill must have been drunk when he designed this doozie, it makes bedding overly complicated, difficult to make good contact, and inconsistant. inconsistant bedding = accuracy woes.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2007, 10:37 AM

How long ago did Ruger start their in-house barrels?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 AM

My left hand Ruger in .300 Win. Mag. makes one inch groups and smaller at 100 yards. Am very happy with it.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:54 PM

If you can judge the overall quality of a barrel by what a take-off barrel brings on the open market, Ruger barrel aren't too hot. Remington and Weatherby take off barrels generally go for somewhere between $50 and $75. Ruger take off barrels are worth somewhere betweenzero and $40.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

But a buddy at work who is quite an accomplished gunsmith/machineist has poo-pooed my Ruger!
If he's that accomplished he'd be a more known gunsmith right? Shows what he knows.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

Since the Ruger angled lug is such a benefit, what other bolt actions, particularly those reknown for accuracy, use one? do tell
And how many Rugers have you bedded successfully in your gunsmithing career? do tell.

Quick Reply: Ruger barrels any good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.