Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What does the shotgun recoil amount to in rifles?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What does the shotgun recoil amount to in rifles?

I shot 3" mags out of a 12-gaugeMossberg pump the other day, and I was wondering, what riflecartridge compares to it in recoil? I fired 180-grain .308 Winchester Super X ammo after shooting the 12-gauge, and they didn't feel any different than the 150-grain,and theydon't recoil bad at all for me.

Whatis thehighestI couldshoot in arifle cartridgethat is less than the 12-gauge 3" mags in recoil?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What recoil compares to?

Shotguns and rifles recoil very differently. For my money, it doesn't get much worse than magnum turkey loads/slugs, especially out of a lightweight pump gun.

As far as what you can handle, it depends a lot on the cut of the stock and the weight of the rifle. A high cheekpiece/monte carlo style stock on a lightweight gun will pound you. Also depends on what position you are in. You may well get back up after shooting a .416 or a .458 Lott, but it doesn't mean you are going to shoot it well, or consistantly.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What does the shotgun recoil amount to in rifles?

One of the reasons I find it hard to compare is that there can be such a difference in stock designs, plus I really think high pressure, high velocity cartridges have faster snap in the push that can be wearing. Nothing I fired kicked more than Daddy Biscuit's Rem Model 11 12 gauge with 2 &3/4 inch magnum rounds, to include a Remington 375 Holland & Holland. My Bennelli Super Black Eagle was a cupcake by comparison. So I might argue that the 12 gauge is like a 30 06, but with many qualifications. My 338 sako (custom stock) actually kicked like my son's 308 Win Tikka, but that was one seriously expensive stock.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What does the shotgun recoil amount to in rifles?

shotguns

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

rifles

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

the others are right...stock design, weight etc all make a diffrence in felt recoil...plus shotguns and rifles have a diffrent recoil due to the rate of compustion...but those 2 put it in numbers for ya..