Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Gun

Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Gun

I don't think the 270wsm is going anywhere, it hugely popular. I'd be so bold to say its outselling its very popular and highly regarded cousin the 270 win right now.

As to the Accutip, none other then a hornady SST, would not be my first choice. If you will be diligent enough to wait for the near leg to clear then maybe, if not pick a bullet that will get through one shoulder and take at least both lungs. It is preferable if you punch 2 holes in a bear as they don't leak well to begin with and 2 holes will leave better sign should you miss the shoulders! I like the shoulder shot with a firearm and bears. Break him down and hammer both lungs, lights out and no tense tracking moments necessary.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses! It is a black bear hunt to clarify. I was leaning to the 7mm-08 with a 140 grain partition. By the sounds of the reply's the consensus is the 7mm-08 may be a bit light. Your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

Here ar my choices:

.270 Win
.270 WSM
7mm-08
7mmRem Mag
7mm Ultra Mag
Thanks for all the responses! It is a black bear hunt to clarify. I was leaning to the 7mm-08 with a 140 grain partition. By the sounds of the reply's the consensus is the 7mm-08 may be a bit light. Your thoughts?
Pick the one you shoot the best. If there's one that feels like an extension of your body, one with which you neverhesitate anywhere in theshoulder-focus-shoot cycle, use THAT one.

If your 7mm-08 offers follow-up shots (not a single shot) and you can keep a good sight picture between shots, go ahead & use that one. 140 grain NP's oughta get the job done with style, providing you can reliably put 'em where they need to go.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

Here ar my choices:

.270 Win
.270 WSM
7mm-08
7mmRem Mag
7mm Ultra Mag

If your 7mm-08 offers follow-up shots (not a single shot) and you can keep a good sight picture between shots, go ahead & use that one. 140 grain NP's oughta get the job done with style, providing you can reliably put 'em where they need to go.
I dunno about that, on of the main reasons for missing animals was having a rapid action, with lots of shells in there, and when you have a fast, full of ammo gun, you never learn how to shoot, unless the gun recoils like heck.

He should geta bolt-action.

As for a 7mm-08, I was going to get one, but the lack of ammo availability made me decide to get a .308 instead. The .308 doesn't recoil bad at all, I personally have shot 180 grain .308 without any problems whatsoever, and those are the roundsmeant for elk, bear, moose, and hogs. I believe that 180-grain is the highest grain offered in factory ammo.
I saw no difference between 150-grain, and 180-grain as far as recoil was concerned. And that was out of my bolt-action.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm 08 with a Nosler Part. or Barnes TSX sounds like a good combo to me. Both will have no problems getting through the heavy stucture of a large boar and will do their thing to the vitals whileachieving goodpentration, can't ask for much more IMHO. If this is your first bear hunt spend some time familarizing yourself with their anatomy.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing the 7 mag has over the 7-08 is distance, the ability to kill at fartherranges. And at close ranges the mags can actually penetrate less than the non mags.
For me I would go with the 280 or 7-08, but thats me.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mm-08 is NOT too light. Use a premium bullet. I personally would use a Nosler Partition 150-grain, because I have had good luck shooting black bear with 150 Nosler Partitions in a .270 Win. There's only .006" difference in diameter-in your favor!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

any of the rounds would work just fine but im parcial to the 7mm mag

good luck
Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two dead animals tied to your legs and a good sharpe knife - that's it.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Two dead animals tied to your legs and a good sharpe knife - that's it.
You are more of a man than I Primate!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.