Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF .243 !!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Default NEF .243 !!!!

I just bought a NEF .243 and was wondering what kind of accuracy and range these guns are known for? I plan on killing ground hogs, deer, and yotes with it what do you think?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM

Default RE: NEF .243 !!!!

I have a 243 could chose. As for range I say 200 to 300 yard on hogs and
yotes. 200 and under for deer just becouse of bullet weight. Have fun with
it I do with mine.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

We have a handi rifle in that caliber. It is capable of 1/2" grps in the right hands.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM

I am the proud owner of a collection of NEF rifles. The 243 is an excellent choice. I agree with apple12 on his range assessment. There are two accuracy considerations with the NEF. One is the trigger. It is just plain lawyerly and there is not really much that can be done about it. The other is the foreend.The point of impact can change depending on wherer the foreend is resting, either toward the receiver or the muzzle. I have had good luck with pouring a couple of pads of epoxy fore andf aft of the mounting stud. That way the barrel is free floated except for an inch or two there in the middle. It really helps to tighten up those groups.

Realistically, you ought to be happy with 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Most people use the 100 grain bullets for deer, but I have found that they over penetrate quite a bit. I use the remoington core locked 80 grain and have had excellent results on deer, hogs and coyotes. Wild hogs can be tough to kill, so place your shots carefully. Personally, I like a neck shot. It ruins less meat and puts them down hard.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM

RyanPDaDeerSlayer & kjrober

graybeardoutdoors.com has a TON of info on the Handi. I have heard that some of the triggers are very good, while others, including mine, was pretty bad. The trigger can be fixed very easily. After reading on GBO, I did a trigger job on mine. I had never owned one or taken one apart before. I did it in about 3 hours and it is now 3 lbs and probably the best trigger I have on any of my guns.

Some shoot excellent right out of the box and others take a little tweaking. Most, a simple o-ring on the stock stud improves things.

Also, they do better when the front rest is under the hinge point. Anyway, the info is out there. They are very fun little rifles and a great value for the money.