Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Archer needs help with rifle accuracy

Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Archer needs help with rifle accuracy

i am new to rifle shooting, and have recently purchased a used Win. Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. The gun shoots in a 2" circle @100 yds. with PMC ammo, this cartridge uses a 180gr. barnes bullet. After 3 shots the groups get wider, I am assuming from barrel heat. I understand a higher end bullet would probably help tighten the group. Is there anything else I can do to shrink the group size.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archer needs help with rifle accuracy

that aint bad shootin for a factory rifle. i wouldnt complain. exspecially in that caliber for a newer shooter. better ammo doesnt always shrink groups..the goal is to find the ammo that the gun shoots the best. could be 5$ a box or 50$ a box...try a couple diffrent bullets and weights and see what it likes.

another thing..since its used, get some GOOD bore sovlent and soak and scrub the bore. get it spotless. that may help...who knows if the other guy ever cleaned it properly...could be fouled up a bit...

but 2" at 100yds isnt anything to complain about...but could probably be imporoved...good luck...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archer needs help with rifle accuracy

ORIGINAL: centerpunch11

i am new to rifle shooting, and have recently purchased a used Win. Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. The gun shoots in a 2" circle @100 yds. with PMC ammo, this cartridge uses a 180gr. barnes bullet. After 3 shots the groups get wider, I am assuming from barrel heat. I understand a higher end bullet would probably help tighten the group. Is there anything else I can do to shrink the group size.Thanks
Trying different brands of ammunition might help, since most rifles have a definite preference as to brand, bullet weight, etc. When you do discover a particularly accurate load, buy as much as you can afford of that very same lot number, soyou have a good supply. This is because, even with the very same load, results vary between lots!

Of course, loading your own ammunition would let you work up a specific load customized for your rifle, and that is the most effective way of finding what shoots best in that gun.

If you think barrel heating is causing your groups to open up, try shooting one shot every five minutes, allowing the gun to cool between shots.