Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg shotgun

Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg shotgun

I have both the 870 and a Mossberg 500. Both are good guns. I have a rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount on the Mossberg and get 2" groups at 80 yrds. On my 870 I bought the combo back when it was only available with a smooth bore rifle sight deer barrel and a 28 inch field barrel with tubes. I haven't used the Mossberg or the Remington to deer hunt with for years. I now use a 1187 Remington, scope mounted rifled barrel with a Nikon Pro Staff. The 3 1/2 capabilities on either the 870 Super Mag or the 535 doesn't really appeal to me because I don't turkey or water fowl hunt. Not to say that I won't own one someday. I think you'll be happy with either one. I will add that in my opinon the 870 is easier to take down and clean but thats just my opinion. If money is the issue I'd buy the Mossberg.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

i have an 870 in 16ga and a mossy in 12ga. Love both of them but paid half for the mossberg. It's been a really good gun. it's been thru all types of weather and abuse and still functions perfectly. i would say mossberg. Just can't beat the price and it will do the same thing as the remy.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Mossy vs. Remmy again ?? !! O.K. but I think that horse is dead.They are both great guns and you can't go wrong buying an 870 or a 500.

[/align]
Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never a problem with my Mossberg, but I can't comment on the Remmy.

FYI - don't let the talk of excessive kick from a 3.5 chamber scare you, you can shoot a 3" from a 3.5 chamber, it just means that you have the option to shoot the bigger shells if you want.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

You made a great point. I forgot to mention that . From the Mossy stand point;I like the reliability and economy of the Mossy. My father inlaw [a hard core Remmy guy] likes that he gets the same reliability at twice the price. Or something like that. You know how those Remmy guys are. hehehe

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: tschaef

Never a problem with my Mossberg, but I can't comment on the Remmy.

FYI - don't let the talk of excessive kick from a 3.5 chamber scare you, you can shoot a 3" from a 3.5 chamber, it just means that you have the option to shoot the bigger shells if you want.
[/blockquote]
Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liveoutdoors

Alright ya'll I'm back with the shotgun questions. I was comparing the Remington 870 Combo model to the Mossberg 535 Combo. Putting them right next to each other they are pretty similar (Mossberg is fully camo whereas the Remington only has the stock and fore-end camoed, both Deer/Turkey combos). The big difference so far was the Mossberg costing about $250 to the $550 of the Remington. Is there that much of a difference to the gun? What would you recommend more? I'm making my purchase within the next week or so, so I am going to use the recommendations seriously...thanks.

both guns, if properly maintained, will get the job done for as long as you own them. i personally have 2 Mossbergs. i won't own anything else. i have a 500 and an 835. both of my shotguns have seen abuse (severe weather and hunting conditions) that no gun should ever see and always performed flawlessly.

the question is...why pay more for something that is no better than the other?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

my personal opinion is you get what you pay for. I have a mossberg and a rem 870 I think that the 870 is a better chioce for all around use.