Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

synthetic cleaning.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Default synthetic cleaning.

I got some stains on my stnthetic stock that dosen't seem to come out. I think it's blood. Anyway when I clean it, It seems to take it away but then it reapears when it dries. Is there anything I can use that would like take a layerof the synthetic off to get rid of this stain? It's a protein stain I am allmost sure of. Anyone else had this problem? 3 of my gun stocks has this problem and it is annoying when I look at them.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: synthetic cleaning.

www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html I have never used this product for cleaning my synthetic stocks but it might help with your stains. Good luck...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just double checked the site and looks like you will have to do a search under cleaning and maintenance for the product called (Gun Scrubber® Synthetic Safe Cleaner)
Old 03-02-2007, 01:07 PM

If you think it's blood try hydrogen poroxide or maybe even some of the spot removers for laundry. Many are made to remove protien stains.

I know hydrogen poroxide will remove blood from fabric and carpeting, I have done it before (don't ask why). You might want to test a less visable spot to see how it reacts with the finish of the gun though.

Paul
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

BirchwoodCasey's Bore Scrubber Synthetic safe formula isn't supposed to harm synthetic stocks. But I think that it's primary that if you happen to get some on the stock it won't hurt it. I don't know that it's actually designed to use to clean the stock. If you try it, maybe first use just some on a clean cotton patch and rub on an area of the stock not easily seen.
Otherwise, I'd first check with the firearm manufacturer to describe what type of stain and what they recommend.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 AM

Thanks guys for replys. I tried the peroxide and nothing. I will see if they got scrubber tomorro at the gun shop. If it doesn't work, I might have to use a real fine sandpaper and wet sand it.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:49 AM

i've got some blood on a matte finish barrel on a pistol that i can't seem to get off...think that same product would do it?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd hate to tell you "go ahead and give it a try", then you come back and say that something got worse, because of. It seems that this is a product mentioned that should not hard either synethic stock/parts and you'd think other materials on firearms. But if in doubt, ask a gunsmith or someone at a gunshop you knows what their telling you is from experience. If it's from blood, you could actually have it penetrating the finish and bonding to the underlying metal. See what they tell you. If they say fine, start in an area of the firearm not easier visible. If it seems to cause no harm, I'd try to remove the stain carefully using no more of the the cleaner than is necessary.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 AM

Looks like I am goanna do some wet sanding here today. Maybe I will take some before and after picks and post them. Lets see what happens.