Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Cleaning Question

Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Bore Cleaning Question

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I just never clean the bores on my rifles and they all shoot extremely well! hehehe

My 7mag Browning I have owned since I was 12 years old, I will turn 24 in 29 days or so, and I have cleaned the bore on it once, and it will put 3 shots under .5" using handloads. The rifle has around 1,000rds put thru it. It is to the point though where I think I will give it a good scrubbing, just for good measure.
Hello Rammer. Impossible. That's my take and I'm sticking with it period. It sounds like a great rifle and I'm sure it is. however, the grooves have to be loaded with copper and there is no way it can be sub MOA...none. zippo. Go out and shoot a group right now and come back on the forum and say that it shoots MOA at 100 yards. IMHO, impossible, and I don't care what kind of loads. Regards, Rick.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I just never clean the bores on my rifles and they all shoot extremely well! hehehe

My 7mag Browning I have owned since I was 12 years old, I will turn 24 in 29 days or so, and I have cleaned the bore on it once, and it will put 3 shots under .5" using handloads. The rifle has around 1,000rds put thru it. It is to the point though where I think I will give it a good scrubbing, just for good measure.
Hello Rammer. Impossible. That's my take and I'm sticking with it period. It sounds like a great rifle and I'm sure it is. however, the grooves have to be loaded with copper and there is no way it can be sub MOA...none. zippo. Go out and shoot a group right now and come back on the forum and say that it shoots MOA at 100 yards. IMHO, impossible, and I don't care what kind of loads. Regards, Rick.
I guarantee your right as well. There is a 40 mph sustained wind and snow. I don't know if its even possible to see 100 yards right now! LOL

Here is when I first sighted my rifle in before I left to go antelope hunting. 140gr Nosler Accubond with a max charge of RL22. The first two shots were the 2 grouped to the left, I then cranked my scope over and shot the 3 shot group. This was done at a lasered 115 yards. The 3 shot group measures .466"

Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of some benchrest and highpower guys not cleaning their rifles for hundreds of rounds, so I don't doubt what you say is true.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 PM

From what I have seen, as a gunsmith for 32 years,the consequences of inadequate bore cleaning have more to do with long term bore damage than short term accuracy issues. If copper is left in a bore for years and years a chemical reaction occurs between the copper and the steel underneath. This reaction causes pitting. And if the barrel is eventually cleaned thoroughly, the gun usually will shoot verypoorly until enough copper fills in the pits. Personally, I clean my barrels down to zero copper and then coat them with Sheath until next hunting season. But those who don't are part of my job security
Old 03-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an old 1891 Mauser that was neglected for years andas a result has abore that resembles the surface of the moon. But it'll put 5 shots into an inch or less at 50 yards (with iron sites only) when I'm on my game. I think we fret too much about this stuff.